Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Superfast lowering spring wear?

fungist
08-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Hello.

I have this question.

First, i mounted my brand new Lowering springs (H&R) 35mm, to my car.
The car had old shocks but i decided to keep using them until i got money for new shocks.

After 1 month the shocks wore. Leaking and working bad.
I had to drive with them for another 8 weeks until i got new shocks to replace.

So when i finally got my new shocks (Bilstein) and mounted the springs, the rear of my car where the worn shocks were feels soft and swaying. its like its so close to bottoming out sometimes over bumps.

The total time used on the brand new springs were only 3 months, BUT were used on worn shocks.

Using new springs on worn shocks, will that age my springs faster?

Could this be a coincidence that my springs are worn already?

vgames33
08-06-2014, 07:15 PM
The springs don't wear that fast. Are you sure that something else isn't worn out and causing the looseness?

Your shocks will continue to live a shortened life due to the reduced stroke they see with lowering springs.

MagicRat
08-10-2014, 09:05 AM
You don't mention the car, but sometimes installing lowering springs changes the suspension and steering geometry. You may simply need an alignment.

Also there may be other mechanical issues like worn suspension bushngs, damaged or disconnected sway bars, etc.

VAnoobie
08-11-2014, 01:06 AM
Springs rarely wear out. It's always recommended to do an alignment when you change stuff out on suspension parts. When using new springs , they do sag a little bit after a while, sort of like breaking them in. Lowering the car on stock shocks will almost always bust them out quickly since they aren't designed to work within such low range and high bounce speed (spring rate). The new shocks will feel always feel different because you got used to worn out shocks. Bad shocks can get either really soft and offer no shock resistance or really stiff, almost stuck.

Aftermarket springs are usually much softer in the rear, check their website for the springrates for the set you got. You should also check the Bilsteins website to see what kind of shocks you got. They are decent aftermarket shocks but also have different shocks for different ocasions.

Add your comment to this topic!