Page updated on 11-19-2017

Thin putty

willimo
07-31-2014, 12:36 AM
Hi guys, I'm fixing to move and have only kept out one kit (and it's shocking how a little laser focus can get a project moving along). Since most of my supplies are packed, I am spending a lot of time sanding and filling and fitting a resin transkit to a plastic body. This meant I had to scribe some panel lines, and while I did a much better job than I expected, I need to fill some imperfections.

I am hoping to find some thin, flowing putty to use for this job. I was going to use some Tamiya brush on primer even though it builds slowly but its one of the materials that got packed away, so since I have to buy something I was hoping I would get some good suggestions.

TLDR: Is there a thin, well flowing putty that I can use to fill pinholes in resin, build up rough edges on poorly scribed panel lines, and then sand, file and scribe without the pretty typical crumbling I find with a lot of one-part putties?

petesy
07-31-2014, 03:21 AM
Mr Surfacer? I have had great result with it for filling lines, pin holes and ejector marks, and it sands very smooth without flaking off.

ZoomZoomMX-5
07-31-2014, 07:44 AM
Thin superglue applied in small quantities w/a toothpick, and then immediately kick w/accelerator and immediately sand. That and Mr. Dissolved Putty should be acceptable.

hirofkd
07-31-2014, 09:55 AM
It's good have a pair of Mr. Thinner and Tamiya basic putty. Mr. Thinner can dissolve Tamiya putty, so you can get the exact thickness you want.
If a scratch is too deep, I'd use super glue as suggested above.

willimo
08-02-2014, 09:08 PM
My LHS had Mr Surfacer, so I am using that. It's exactly what I was looking for, I would think. I wish they had the 500 instead of the 1000 but I'm surprised they had any Mr products at all.

Hiro - I had thought about disolving putting but I am filling gaps between resin and plastic, mostly, and I am horrified that I would mess it up and leave weird differences in texture and paint between the the two. I am sure I would have better results with such a method if I were a better modeler.

Lownslow
08-03-2014, 01:48 AM
I would personally use the superglue/baking soda trick there

grundski
08-13-2014, 10:26 AM
I use super glue with baby powder

Add your comment to this topic!