Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wire Auxiliary High Middle Stoplight?

tinkering
07-27-2014, 09:08 PM
1996 Cheyenne 3/4 Ton 4x4 Long box

I put a cap on the box and the inspection guy told me I had to have a Center High Mount Stop Light on the back of the cap itself (because the back of the truck cab has one). I mounted the fixture and routed the wires down the box post under the truck box (I included a plug connector before it goes down the box post, so I can unplug the cap easy when I want to remove it).

Now I began to think:grinno:... I can't just tap into the brake light wire at the rear bumper because the CHMSL will come on too when a signal light comes on. Do I have to run a CHMSL feed from the fuse box or somewhere up front, all the way down to the rear bumper? Does someone know where to locate this feed, or do I have to reference a schematic in the manual? Guess what? I don't have the manual.

While I was at it I installed a cargo light fixture inside the cap. I guess I could run that feed down from the front too while I am running the CHMSL wire. Am I looking at this right or does any body have some help ideas?

tinkering
07-28-2014, 12:35 AM
:tongue:If you don't have any absolute details, can you at least tell me if I am barking up the right tree?

j cAT
07-28-2014, 08:50 AM
:tongue:If you don't have any absolute details, can you at least tell me if I am barking up the right tree?

you are braking up the wrong tree.

you tap the feed for the CHMSL at this fuse. then installing a 10A fuse in your new feed at this connection , then run wire to your CHMSL on the equipment you mounted .

tinkering
07-28-2014, 09:09 AM

you tap the feed for the CHMSL at this fuse. then installing a 10A fuse in your new feed at this connection , then run wire to your CHMSL on the equipment you mounted .

LOL I hope I don't go braking up any trees!

Which fuse, the STOP/HAZ (Stoplamps) in the fuse box under the hood? That makes more sense to me than the fuse in the box under the dash:) Thanks j cAT .You have helped me once again. I just clicked you another 'Thanks'.

777stickman
07-28-2014, 10:16 AM
LOL I hope I don't go braking up any trees!

Which fuse, the STOP/HAZ (Stoplamps) in the fuse box under the hood? That makes more sense to me than the fuse in the box under the dash:) Thanks j cAT .You have helped me once again. I just clicked you another 'Thanks'.

The STOP/HAZ fuse is hot at all times. You don't want to tap into that. For the CHMSL you just need to tap into the COLD side of the Brake Switch.

tinkering
07-28-2014, 10:27 AM

The STOP/HAZ fuse is hot at all times. You don't want to tap into that. For the CHMSL you just need to tap into the COLD side of the Brake Switch.

Thanks. That makes more sense. No need for an inline fuse holder either? I clicked a 'Thanks' for you.

tinkering
07-28-2014, 10:33 AM
How do you contact a moderator? I want to correct the name of this thread to 'Wire Center High Mount Stop Light?'

tinkering
08-14-2014, 10:19 PM
A guy on the fullsizechevy.com forum gave me a wiring diagram indicating a CHMSL feed in the trailer bundle at the back of the truck. Here is the link: http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/technical-maintenance/528001-auxiliary-high-middle-stoplight-how-wire-2.html#post5865948

Thank you all a bunch for your help.

Add your comment to this topic!