Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

brown goop oil

lbranham1101
07-23-2014, 09:41 PM
early this year February, i was driving my truck and it started knocking. i pulled over, pulled the dip stick and there was about 4inches up the stick of light brown thick goop. i put it back in and as i had no choice, drove it back home (12mi or so) parked in and just assumed i blew a gasket. i went out last week and pulled the dip stick and it had nothing but rust. so i pulled the oil drain plug, less than 1qt came out. it looked ok just like 2500mi oil should. just missing 4qts. took the cap off the radiator and it was completely full. so my buddy said well i bet you didnt blow a gasket then, put oil in it and fire it up. so i did. put 5qts oil plus an oil additive and fired it up. it knocked for 3 or 4 seconds till the oil got pumped up and it quit knocking.

*QUESTIONS*

is this truck ok to drive now since its not knocking?

how do i know if the engine is going to hold up?

also ive posted in the past about issues with stuttering, any updates on this?

Schurkey
07-23-2014, 11:49 PM
early this year February, i was driving my truck and it started knocking. i pulled over, pulled the dip stick and there was about 4inches up the stick of light brown thick goop. i put it back in and as i had no choice, drove it back home (12mi or so) parked in and just assumed i blew a gasket. i went out last week and pulled the dip stick and it had nothing but rust. so i pulled the oil drain plug, less than 1qt came out. it looked ok just like 2500mi oil should. just missing 4qts. took the cap off the radiator and it was completely full. so my buddy said well i bet you didnt blow a gasket then, put oil in it and fire it up. so i did. put 5qts oil plus an oil additive and fired it up. it knocked for 3 or 4 seconds till the oil got pumped up and it quit knocking.

*QUESTIONS*

is this truck ok to drive now since its not knocking?
Probably not. I expect you have bearing/journal damage, perhaps cam 'n' lifter damage. You might consider lifting the engine out, popping the pan off, and seeing what's inside--and inspecting some or all of the main and rod bearings while you're in there.

What is your HOT idle in-gear oil pressure?

how do i know if the engine is going to hold up?
You don't. I wouldn't drive farther than you can walk back for help until you've found a reasonable cause for the oil loss, and for the disappearing thick brown goo.

also ive posted in the past about issues with stuttering, any updates on this?
Sorry, I don't have any advice for speech impediments. Your typing is fine, though.

j cAT
07-24-2014, 08:48 AM
so in FEB you saw the oil was messed up . now in July you change the oil ?

explain what your doing .

if the oil had coolant in it in FEB so much that the oil level showed too much that means the bottom of the oil pan has coolant in it since oil floats. I would expect severe engine damage since you waited 6 mo. to correct this.

tinkering
07-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Sorry, I don't have any advice for speech impediments. Your typing is fine, though.

Sorry for laughing; I'm not laughing at the original poster but that was the best laugh I had all week! Nicely done. I just gave you a 'Thanks' for that.

Add your comment to this topic!