Page updated on 12-15-2017

Looking at getting Caprice back....

copcap96
07-23-2014, 09:04 PM
Well, its been a long time since I have had my 1993 Caprice police car that I bought from my uncle. It was hard to part with, but at almost 400,000KMS (still ran good though) we figured it was time.

My uncle is selling his 1994 Caprice that I didn't even know he still had. It has been sitting in his garage for a few years now. No rust, about 160,000KMS, newer transmission (only civilian grade apparently, but I don't plan on abusing the car so I think that should be fine) and a few other extras.

I am going to head over there one weekend and change the oil, syphon the gas out and put in fresh gas, check the brakes and all the fluids and see if it will take a boost.

Is there anything else you figure I should do before starting it. I hate starting cars that haven't run in awhile, but it must be done. Is there any way to disable the ignition system so that I can crank the engine over a bit to get the fresh oil pumped through the engine without it actually firing up? Anything I can do to make the first start easier on the car would be good with me.

If all goes well with the initial start and test drive, I will head to a shop and see what it needs for safety inspection.

I currently have a 2007 Crown Victoria Police car and it would be nice to have the Caprice back as well.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any tips or suggestions.

j cAT
07-24-2014, 01:30 PM
pull the injection fuses 2 of them .. then it will crank but not start.

with any vehicle sitting it is just like a boat engine with winter storage/spring start up.

using an ounce of MMO marvel mystery oil in each cylinder allowing it to soak for a few hours then with the plugs out crank engine over by hand several times.

if the rings were stuck the MMO should loosen them up..also no scratches on the cylinder walls.

after you get the engine to run and up to temp and check for coolant leaks/issues then change the oil/filter...this hot oil draining should clean out the crankcase.. adding 6 OZ of the MMO to the oil prior to starting will help loosen the crud after years of non use.

since this old replace the upstream O2 sensors / make sure the water pump weep hole is not leaking !!!!

grease the front end / ball joints ETC.. replace the rear diff oil and the tranny fluid use the dexron VI not dexron III ...

when you replace the coolant flush out the heater core good...

copcap96
07-25-2014, 08:10 PM
Good tips, thanks. I never even thought about pulling the spark plugs to put something on the pistons. Would a quick shot of WD-40 work too? It seems like a spray would help get it evenly in there, and I have never seen this Marvel Mystery Oil before. I can't see why WD-40 or any spray like that would hurt, it would all burn up quickly once started right?

Anyway, a great additional step that I didn't think of, thanks.

j cAT
07-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Good tips, thanks. I never even thought about pulling the spark plugs to put something on the pistons. Would a quick shot of WD-40 work too? It seems like a spray would help get it evenly in there, and I have never seen this Marvel Mystery Oil before. I can't see why WD-40 or any spray like that would hurt, it would all burn up quickly once started right?

Anyway, a great additional step that I didn't think of, thanks.

WD-40 is for house type squeaks ETC.. never use the WD-40 on your vehicle..

the stuff gets all gummy and is a poor lube... actually not a lube.. more like slime.

MMO is at walmart and also at most auto stores like advance auto...

silicon212
07-27-2014, 12:10 PM
I have to agree with j-cat - NEVER use WD40 in the cylinders. Marvell Mystery Oil would be great. A quick shot of about a teaspoon of ATF could also work.

Inasmuch as the transmission is concerned, if the '94 has a 350 (5.7 / LT1) under the hood, there is no difference between a 9C1 and a civilian grade, aside from possible computer tweaking (shift point calibration, etc. as done on the Crown Vic PI cars). You should be fine.

copcap96
07-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Ok, I will shop around and find this Marvel Mystery Oil. Our Wal-Mart Doesn't have it, but I think NAPA probably will. Is this just typical liquid oil, or is it in a spray can?

Glad to hear the transmission is the same and not a weaker version or anything like that.

On another note, do the 94-96 caprice have that rounded rear quarter window instead of the older one that comes to a point? I thought that all 94-96's had the rounded window but I see some pictures of what is being claimed a 1994 but it has the pointed window. No big deal, I had a 1993 with the aftermarket windows that made it look like the rounded off style, so I can just get those again if need be.

copcap96
07-27-2014, 03:19 PM
So my Rockauto parts list so far just has a new fuel filter, oil filter and spark plugs. I wanted to get, what I assume to be, two new O2 sensors. Can anyone confirm that is correct? It looks like for 9C1, it would be just two upstream sensors, none downstream? Also, I assume there is no difference drivers side to passenger side right? Thanks.

silicon212
07-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Ok, I will shop around and find this Marvel Mystery Oil. Our Wal-Mart Doesn't have it, but I think NAPA probably will. Is this just typical liquid oil, or is it in a spray can?

Glad to hear the transmission is the same and not a weaker version or anything like that.

On another note, do the 94-96 caprice have that rounded rear quarter window instead of the older one that comes to a point? I thought that all 94-96's had the rounded window but I see some pictures of what is being claimed a 1994 but it has the pointed window. No big deal, I had a 1993 with the aftermarket windows that made it look like the rounded off style, so I can just get those again if need be.

The '95-'96 have the smoothing of the rear window; the '94 is just the same as a '91. The '94 Impala SS has what looks to be the newer window; however this is just an insert.

No downstream O2 sensors on a '94, this was an OBDII function that you should see on the '96 models. The sensors should be the same regardless of where they are located.

copcap96
07-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Great news on the O2 sensors, not so much on the rear quarter window. That's fine though, I will just have to find a couple of the aftermarket windows like I had before. I was also going to get the impala grille. Is there a preferred website or place to get this parts and accessories?

j cAT
07-28-2014, 06:22 PM
So my Rockauto parts list so far just has a new fuel filter, oil filter and spark plugs. I wanted to get, what I assume to be, two new O2 sensors. Can anyone confirm that is correct? It looks like for 9C1, it would be just two upstream sensors, none downstream? Also, I assume there is no difference drivers side to passenger side right? Thanks.

I replaced the upstream O2 sensors AFS75 I believe is the #. the downstream sensors should be good since they see less stress if you have them I do have them in the 96 OBDII.. I found that even with 75 K miles on the vehicle the new O2 sensors got me better MPG driving around town .. never had any codes. got them at amazon for a good price .. the OEM manual says only use ac delco O2 sensors..

copcap96
07-28-2014, 06:30 PM
I went with the Denso brand. To save on shipping there were only two that came from the same place as the rest of my stuff (Bosch and Denso) and it seems like Denso was the preferred brand.

I was just trying to get all my information before heading down there. I read that one sensor is easy to get to, the other is fairly difficult. I am not too worried about it, I am sure I can get it either from the top or bottom. What I read next has me a little concerned.

I read that changing the spark plugs on these cars with the LT1 is extremely difficult. Does anyone have any experience with this? If the plugs are that hard to get to, I don't see anyway of getting that marvel oil in there too.

I figure I may just have to settle with changing the oil, and then disabling the ignition system (either through fuses or pulling the wire off the coil) and turning the engine over with the starter to try and get the fresh oil pumped around before actually starting it. Hopefully that will be enough if I can't get the plugs out.

j cAT
07-28-2014, 07:29 PM
I just want to be clear it is not my opinion that the AC DELCO O2 sensors are the best for this vehicle. GM Manual says this. also the wires and connectors must not be screwed with meaning cut .

the O2 sensor replacing WILL be done from the ground up .. also the wiring and loom wire hold down for these are tough to properly position. the sensors will not come out easy 20 yrs OEM originals. you will need a small propane torch to get them to unscrew and the use of a special open end wrench to get access to them so you can unscrew them. then it is best to have a thread chaser to clean up these O2 pipe threads. you must use the anti seize compound on the O2 threads this is a copper based material ..torque to about 15 ft lbs but make sure the washer seats so that the exhaust will not leak.

on plug removal this is done by wheel removal. some can be done from the top on the driver side. do not remove the metal shield on the plug wires .. these protect the wire core from heat damage. you will need dielectric grease in all the plug wire boots to insure the wires do not get damaged from arcing.
use the ac delco double plat plugs these are the OEM plugs and are IMO as the best for this engine.

many have screwed up the O2 wiring then the wire damage from exhaust manifold melting them..

when you down there make sure the exhaust manifold bolts are not broken and tight. especially the rear ones........

Add your comment to this topic!