Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

DIY: 99 Accord distributor seal

somick
07-21-2014, 04:35 PM
Honda has done it again!
On my son’s 95 Accord they pressed the front rotors onto the wheel bearing. A replaceable item! This made this part replacement very hard.
On this Accord generation Honda moved the attention to the distributor. The ring at the end of the distributor is held on the shaft by a pin. On previous generations the pin was secured by a snap ring: remove the ring and remove the pin. On my 1999 Accord distributor the pin is pressed in the shaft and if you do not have a press and a hardened steel arbor it makes the simple job of removing the pin very hard.
So to replace the leaking seal we have to remove the shaft and to remove the shaft we need to remove the ring at the end of the distributor shaft that is held by a pressed in pin.

After taking all the sensors out of the distributor housing I went after the pin.

I, like many others, do not have a hardened steel arbor that size. If you want to press the pin out and use a regular metal piece the piece will just bend. I made a set of short screws that fit into the pin hole and using my vise started pressing the pin out little by little. I found out that screws made for wood work the best. They are probably made out of better steel.
I started with the shortest screw: put the screw in the hole against the pin, made sure the screw’s head sticks out the hole just about 2 millimeters or so. Put the entire assembly in the vise and squeezed it very hard. It worked and pushed the pin a little! Used the next screw size and did it again. Overall it took me about 2-3 hours to fabricate the screws and remove the pin.

With the ring out replacing the seal is quite easy. Remove two screws that hold the shaft and pull the shaft out. The seal is sitting under the bearing.
The oil seal part number is OS-3286 made by Kotek. In the receipt they provided the dimensions: 12.45x22x6. What really surprised me was that they specified the rotation: Clock-wise. I did not know that that was important.
While doing this I tried to shoot a video but I do not think I did a good job and it is worth posting on You Tube. If it is I will provide a link for the video here.

Regards,
Sam

somick
08-02-2014, 05:02 PM
I failed to position the camera to capture the process of pressing the ping out but the video will give the visual impression of what the job is about:

http://youtu.be/jKKoXRY3qPA

Thanks,
Sam

Add your comment to this topic!