Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Was trying to program another keyfob and I shorted pin 4 to pin 16 accidentally.

d12x12d
07-15-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure all the damage this has caused to my 98 bonnie. I had a few keyfobs given to me so I went to program them for my car, when I went to short pin 4 to pin 8 on my OBD II connection, I shorted 4 and 16. It was a momentary contact that produced a spark. As of now, my radio does not turn on or display the time, although all the other light on it seem to work. My original keyfob is no longer working, and I cannot seem to get my car to accept it when in program mode. I'm not really sure how to proceed with this problem and if someone might be able to point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful. If you haven't guess, I'm pretty pissed at myself over this one :banghead:.
Thanks guys.

Tech II
07-15-2014, 09:29 PM
#4 is a ground and #16 is battery voltage......so you ran a direct short to your battery, which blew the fuse protecting it.....I am looking at a '96 manual diagram, and terminal 16 is protected by a 10 amp fuse, fuse 9C, in the I/P fuse block.....pretty sure it will be the same for a 1998.....if fuse is blown, replace...

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0996b43f/80/20/26/82/medium/0996b43f80202682.gif

I am not sure if you can program a fob on this vehicle manually or if you need a Tech II scan tool....

If it can be manually done, did you use this procedure? remember, if you have more than one transmitter, must program them all at once.....if one is programmed, and you program a new one, the old one will no longer be programmed....

PROGRAMMING TRANSMITTERS
1. Turn ignition off. Connect fused jumper wire between Data Link Connector (DLC) terminals No. 8 (Black/White wire) and No.
4 (Black wire). Turn ignition on. All door locks will cycle. Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons of one RKE
transmitter. After a 30 second delay, door locks will cycle.
2. Program any other RKE transmitter to be used by repeating previous step. When all RKE transmitters are programmed, remove
fused jumper wire from DLC connector, before turning ignition off.

d12x12d
07-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Thanks Tech II, the fuse was the issue. If I wasn't so mad I probably would have thought of that. I've been repairing the sheet metal around the wheel wells and fabricating another rear bumper reinforcement for the past few days. A couple weeks ago I replaced the front end other than cv-shafts and I fixed my radio. It should be in tip top shape now!

Add your comment to this topic!