Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 vin E Explorer PO172 code

warwolf
07-14-2014, 07:18 AM
MY daughters 2000 explorer has a PO172 code, tune it up,Relaced filters plugs & wires and rear O2 sensors that where damaged.Has 65 psi on fuel rail.Can not find any vacuum leaks.Not sure maybe injectors are dirty.
Anyone have any Idea's as to what is causing this code???? Also i replaced MAF, now it idles, But it's a rough Idle,Gets worse in gear..She say's on cold start up she can smell a whiff of gas ..

shorod
07-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Going off of memory here, but if my recall is correct, that code is also commonly associated with a faulty or mis-hosed DPFE sensor (aka EGR position sensor). The DPFE sensor was also a common failure item on Fords of that vintage. You might search the forum for "P0172" (note that it's a zero, not an 'o') or "DPFE" to find more common issues for the P0172 or details on the DPFE respectively.

-Rod

warwolf
07-14-2014, 06:26 PM
I replaced that a couple of years ago. Is there any way to check it. Thanks for the Reply..That's the one on the valve cover drivers side, Right ??

shorod
07-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Honestly I'm not sure where it's located on your Explorer. It has one electrical connector and two vacuum hoses to it and is a pretty flat, rectangular box typically.

About the only way to check it is to monitor the datastream for the EGR system and confirm the EGR works fine. Even then I'm not real sure how a good one should behave.

-Rod

warwolf
07-16-2014, 07:42 AM
Thanks, I will check it this weekend.That is the one i replaced when i did the intake gaskets 2 years ago.

Add your comment to this topic!