Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1980 K10 ignition issues

srhanson
07-02-2014, 08:47 PM
I've got a 1980 K10 with a 350 4bbl. This weekend it suddenly quit running, found the coil burned up, along with the ignition module, also found the ground strap under the coil was missing. Replaced the module along with the condenser/wiring harness, put on a new Accel cap/rotor and Accel coil and ground strap. Truck starts ok and idles fine but now it has no power at all. Does not seem to miss at all as it idles at 700rpm smoothly. Also noted the tach sticks at idle speed now when you shut the motor off, goes to zero if you turn the key back on, never did that before.
Any ideas on what to look for or check next?
Thanks for any help, Shane

j cAT
07-03-2014, 07:27 AM
I've got a 1980 K10 with a 350 4bbl. This weekend it suddenly quit running, found the coil burned up, along with the ignition module, also found the ground strap under the coil was missing. Replaced the module along with the condenser/wiring harness, put on a new Accel cap/rotor and Accel coil and ground strap. Truck starts ok and idles fine but now it has no power at all. Does not seem to miss at all as it idles at 700rpm smoothly. Also noted the tach sticks at idle speed now when you shut the motor off, goes to zero if you turn the key back on, never did that before.
Any ideas on what to look for or check next?
Thanks for any help, Shane

the cap/coil should be removed and check that you installed properly read your manual on this for proper install.

the ICM requires a clean metal surface then apply the heat sink compound for proper heat removal. the tach may be connected wrong or the arcing did damage .

the plug wires should all be checked.. remove wires look for defects use OHM Meter and measure the wires resistance.

possible the cat converters got damaged with the miss fires or the plugs are fouled.

then make sure the timing is good could be you changed it esp if the cap is not seated properly..........

Schurkey
07-04-2014, 10:11 AM
^^^^ All good suggestions. The only ones I'd add is to verify

1. that the "red" ignition wire from ignition switch to bulkhead to the connector block on the distributor cap is in good condition; not overheated/burnt/corroded by whatever took out the module and ignition coil, and

2. the tach wire is similarly in good condition. Grounding the tach terminal of the HEI will result in considerable current flow.

iceman 45414
12-15-2014, 09:36 AM
im havin issues with mine as well somthing fried as i was driving by the steering column and the truck completely died as iwas driving it now all it dose is crank and crank but no spark at all

Schurkey
12-16-2014, 11:13 PM
im havin issues with mine as well somthing fried as i was driving by the steering column and the truck completely died as iwas driving it now all it dose is crank and crank but no spark at all
Answered in your OTHER thread. Please don't double-post.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1140041

Add your comment to this topic!