Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Alero can't remove strut bolts

stratovani
06-29-2014, 06:26 PM
This past week I was in the process of replacing a front strut assembly because of a broken spring. What should be a fairly simple procedure was halted in its tracks by the bane of the backyard mechanic's existence, rusted bolts. After spraying a lot of Free All and using a propane torch I was able to remove the nuts, but the bolts themselves is what stopped me. They must have been pressed on at the factory, and had 13 years of rust build up inside. I tried everything to get them to come out, Free All, heat, repeated banging with a hammer, but nothing worked. I even ruined the threads from banging on the bolts so much! :mad:

Anyone have a good solution to this problem? This should be a fairly simple job - two bolts on the bottom, three on top, and out it comes! Now I've got a bunch of zip ties holding everything together, which obviously is not an ideal solution. And the broken spring is still there (luckily, the break is near the top of the strut assembly).

Tech II
06-29-2014, 07:48 PM
I like PB Blaster for a penetrant......I use an air chisel with a blunt end.....I back the nut off toa point where, the threaded end of the bolt is recessed in the nut....now, using the air chisel, I hit the center of the bolt(the sides of the nut keep it centered)....

If you don't have air tools, take the nut completely off, reverse it and install until the flat is even with the end of the bolt.....then using a 5# hammer or bigger, I really whack it...just get it started moving and then do the same to the other...then completely remove....top three are a piece of cake.....

tinkering
06-29-2014, 07:59 PM
I don't have my Alero here nor do I have my repair manual or a diagram but I think when you get the two bottom bolts out of there and get the bottom of the strut away from the steering knuckle, the whole strut unit should then drop down with the top bolts still connected to the upper strut plate. You should maybe support the hub with a trolly jack or something so it doesn't come crashing down when you get the two lower bolts out? Taking the weight off of the hub might help with the bolts being so tight too.

The bottom bolts should drive out; try turning the bolt head with a flex arm or a snipe if it will fit in there; use a six point socket. Don't hammer on the threaded bolt end any more. If you want to hammer on there to try to drive it out, put the nut back on backwards like Tech II says, until the bolt and the flat of the nut are flush, and smack on it a bit (if you can still pick up the damaged threads).

When you get the strut assembly out don't forget to put some kind of compressing holding tool on the spring before you undo the unit or it could fly apart with a serious attitude.

I hope I haven't led you too far astray. Can anyone chime in and add some expertise?

tinkering
06-29-2014, 08:06 PM
I see Tech II was writing the same time as I was. He is good.

stratovani
06-29-2014, 08:23 PM
WOW! Now that was some fast replies! Thanks very much! Unfortunately the bolt threads are ruined from banging on it with a hammer, I'm going to have to replace them. I'll try the PB Blaster and I'll try a heavier hammer as well. :)

tinkering
06-29-2014, 08:27 PM
WOW! Now that was some fast replies! Thanks very much! Unfortunately the bolt threads are ruined from banging on it with a hammer, I'm going to have to replace them. I'll try the PB Blaster and I'll try a heavier hammer as well. :)

Don't forget to click on our 'Thanks' buttons:smile:
You might want to really try to get the nuts on those bolts (even if they get all cross threaded) before you distort the bolts too much, to where they won't back through the holes; (otherwise you might have to file and grind more)... then replace the nut/s too.

Add your comment to this topic!