Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

maintenance questions

XWrench3
06-28-2014, 07:12 PM
i am not what you would call a "Ford guy", so there are a lot of things on this, that seem a little strange to me. i do believe you can only expect a vehicle to be dependable, if you take care of it. and i try to keep up all of our vehicles. so, i have a few maintenance questions, for our 2007 escape xlt, 3.0 v-6 automatic 4wd.
1) does this have a cabin air filter? and if so, where do they put it?
2) most people, who do not keep a vehicle until its time to be recycled, do not change the automatic transmission filter and oil. if your trading them off all the time, i suppose there is not much point. but this is something i do, because the next owner will likely be a scrap metal dealer. getting oil and a filter is no issue, and from what i am seeing, it does not look like anything to bad to do. but, where to find torque specs?
one non maintenance question, is about towing. this was not ordered with a hitch, so i am assuming the trans cooler is the "in the radiator" one line in and out "cooler". so adding an additional cooler seems like a very good idea. i would like to connect it, so the hot oil goes into the aftermarket cooler, then into the radiator, and finally back into the transmission. that way in cold weather, and not towing, the transmission gets up to normal temperature. but how do i tell which line is which at the radiator, or at the transmission? factory service manuals are so expensive, just thinking about buying one makes my wallet shake and quiver in fear. and the little Haynes ones are great, if your going to rebuild the engine, but so much of real life maintenance information is missing, they hardly seem worth the effort of buying one.

65comet
06-30-2014, 08:32 AM
I've got an '02 V6 4WD purchased new. I'm not sure what if any major changes were done getting to your series. It came with the Wilderness and Tow packages. It had the internal trans cooler. We towed about the biggest pop-up camper there is across country and through the mountains several times. Had a minor accident in the front that required most of the plastic pieces to be replaced. What wasn't caught until it was too late was that the radiator cracked internally and swapped anti-freeze in with the trans fluid (). That was right around 60,000 miles. I paid a little extra to get a life-time full warranty. 10,000 miles later the case that the clutches ride in cracked apart and needed another full rebuild. They paid for my tow home, the tow to the shop and all the repairs. No car rental in it though. Put another 120,000 to bring it up to 190,000 now with a dead engine. The trans warranty had a caveat that you had to bring it in every 2 years/ 15,000 miles for a check. Which I did. The engine current problem is I think a cam chain tensioner broke apart. Found a piece of plastic in the oil pan that looks like that is where it came from. Turns over, has fuel and spark, just won't start. I thought maybe if it was only one side at least the other would get some firing, but no such luck. No time to go further on that one at the moment. Had no codes. So, I would suggest an external tranny cooler. Mine does have a spot for the cabin filter. Passenger side under the hood you remove the plastic cowling at the bottom of the windshield to get to it.

Add your comment to this topic!