07 Impala cooling fans and temp gauge

smantas
06-22-2014, 09:07 PM
I have an 07 Impala 3.5 flex fuel engine...

When I start the car on a cold engine (overnight) both fans right away come on low speed....after about 30 seconds they both go full speed and stay there, never shuts off

Temp gauge take 12 minutes to climb to the middle point of the gauge then it stays there all the while both fans are running at full speed...

After I shut the car off both fans go to low speed and run for about 3 minutes before they stop

where should the gauge read on this car as there are no numbers on the gauge...just C and H

Car has good heat and coolant is full, no leaks ....any ideas where I should start looking?

maxwedge
06-23-2014, 08:28 AM
The pcm controls the fans thru relays, operation is based on a/c pressures and engine temp., so somewhere in that circuit there is a problem, could be a bad relay but a proper diagnosis would require scanning with a bi-directional scanner to check the circuitry.

smantas
06-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Where should the gauge read on this car....there are no numbers just C and H...the needle falls right in the middle and take 12 minutes to get there at an idle on a 75 degree day....is that normal?

Thanks

Tech II
06-24-2014, 08:11 AM
Needle should go no more than just a little past halfway......

When you are driving down the highway, with a/c off, where is the needle?

Have you checked for codes?

smantas
06-24-2014, 02:41 PM
The needle stays right on the bottom half of the line at the halfway point....no codes....takes aprox 12 minutes from a cold engine to reach that temp and then it stays there....so I take it that's normal?....what temp is that as I have no number on the gauge

Thanks

Black_Blade
07-09-2014, 05:48 AM
I may be wrong but just throwing this out there, when the A/C is on the fan should be running to compensate for that extra cooling load. If you don't have your a/c on, there might be a problem with your a/c control switch, or a a corroded pin in the pcm having to do with that circuitry. It sounds like the engine is running at its proper temperature setting anyways, so thats one problem you don't have to worry about.

Tech II
07-09-2014, 07:17 AM
Forgot to ask....

Car scanned for codes? Autozone will do it for free....

What is the coolant level, when the car is cold, first thing in the morning, before you start the car?

Add your comment to this topic!