2000 Impala LS Vent Solenoid I.D.

TA455sd
06-18-2014, 05:07 AM
I took my 2000 (328750 miles) in for an engine code that turned out to be a faulty "Vent Solenoid" and possibly a rusted filler neck. The tech did not specify which of the two possible type vent solenoids (PN: 20941985 & 13575703) to the customer service contact whom I dealt with. I tried to look these up but found they would not match up to my vehicle. The guy at the parts counter was who gave me the numbers and he also stated that I'd need a new harness (PN: 19257603) to connect which either part it turned out to be. My question is where this little beast is located so I can I.D. it and how I'd remove the rear left wheel well covering to access the filler neck. Thanks.

Tech II
06-18-2014, 07:48 AM
Did you actually pay for this diagnosis? Get your money back.....

It's just a two wire harness to the vent solenoid...it's location is near the fill tube.....

A good shop would seal the system, and smoke test it...if the vent leaked, you check for power and ground at the harness....if ok, you need a new solenoid....did they even look at the fill pipe?

TA455sd
06-18-2014, 09:14 AM
I did pay for the diagnostic test (codes were P0440 & P0442) at the dealer to the tune of $70.00 but their cost of $615.30 out the door for the repair made me run for cover. Is the removal of the wheel well to get to the filler neck simply backing out the small screws holding it in? There is a lot of rust visable at the filler neck and is somewhat loose too so no doubt about that.

Tech II
06-18-2014, 09:07 PM
labor should be about an hour for both repairs.....same area, on a lift....

Fill pipe and vent solenoid cost about a little over 100 bucks.......not sure where they are coming up with that price.....even if they double the price of parts, they are way too high......

I don't know how you condemn either one of them, though, without a smoke test......

TA455sd
06-19-2014, 04:53 AM
Thank you for your response...They said they did do the smoke test. As for the costs, I asked the parts guy and including the harness, was about $175.00 plus tax. The $600+ price quoted must have been the number of the day due to the real reason I was there: To have them repair a severe miss going on the day before. It turned out to be my Ignition Control Module which they wanted to charge me $630.20 for. Lucky for me that was under warrenty because they repaired it less than a few years ago. I just wanted to have the EVAC code (For 3 years) diagnosed after they finished the module and thats what they found.

Add your comment to this topic!