Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Lumina Fuel Pump... I think.

copcap96
06-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Hi everyone.

So I am looking at changing the fuel pump on the 1997 Lumina in the next couple of weekends. Just wondering if my testing/logic is correct before I actually do it.

Basically the car isn't that great at starting, but was never really a big issue until recently. It still starts after fighting with it a bit, but now it has picked up the habit of either stalling when hot, or if you shut it off when hot, run in a store for a few minutes it won't restart until it has cooled down.

I bought the fuel pressure tester, and based on some youtube videos learned what the pressures should be. When primed, the gauge reads nothing, and you barley hear the pump. Then once you get it started it runs about 18-20 PSI, nowhere near 40.

I have changed the cheaper simple things first, fuel filter, pressure regulator, fuses/relays, nothing made any difference. Do you agree that the fuel pump is the logical problem? I would just hate to spend the time and effort changing it to find out it was something else.

Thanks for your opinions and advice, it is much appreciated.

Tech II
06-12-2014, 04:23 PM
If the car won't start, and fuel pressure is much lower than 40psi, but will start if you spray carb cleaner into the intake, and dies as soon as you stop spraying, then yes, it does sound like a fuel pump.....especially if you have power AND ground at the harness into the tank...

Watch out for cheap after market pumps/modules, or you will be doing it again....use OEM...

Add your comment to this topic!