Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Sunfire "Bright White" looking for spray paint match

SunfirePattiCakes
06-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Hello. I have a 1999 Pontiac Sunfire in great condition with only 45,000 miles. The paint color is: Bright White U16 U9753. The original paint job still looks great except for some surface rust on driver's door bottom and a tiny bit on the side of the door. Then my son smashed driver's side fender as he was backing out of garage. Repair costs were prohibitive in that I did not want to sink over $1500.00 on this vehicle but I was embarrassed to drive it! So I decided to take it on as a project. I watched lots of YouTube videos and researched on the internet. First off I researched my paint color on a GM color code site and was given "Bright White WA9753".
I then went to Auto Zone and stocked up,on supplies: sanding disks, sand papers, sanding block, bondo, primer and paint. The gentleman at the store asked the model,and year of my vehicle and handed me (after I told him I wanted a matching spray paint)
"Dupl-Color Bright White WA 9753". When I needed more paint I went to Advanced Auto parts and same thing happened - handed
"Dupl-Color Bright White WA 9753". Again I ran out and went to O'Reily's and gentleman there also handed me "Dupl-Color Bright White WA 9753".
On Monday night, approximately 2 weeks after beginning my project, as I stood back to admire my hard work I noticed that the color was totally off! I know- couldn't I tell as I was spraying it on! Yes, it did look a little darker, but I thought that it would lighten up with another coat. Then I thought it would match better after the clear coat. I knew it wasn't supposed to exactly match, and seeing that three different people and a website all told me that was the proper color code I never thought I had used the wrong color!
On Tues. 6/9 after contacting Dupli Color's Customer Service I was told that Dupli Color's Perfect Match labeled
"Bright White WA9753" is not supposed to be "Bright White" but is in fact TAN!

Am I being unreasonable or does anyone else see something wrong with this picture? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
And if you are looking for a Bright White in Dupli Color's Perfect Match system: DO NOT use Bright White WA9753, because it is TAN!
Is there any easy way to remove freshly applied paint (4-5 day Dupli Color spray paint)?
Am I going to have to get down to the metal again?
What kind of spray paint and what to do about matching color? Would really appreciate any suggestions with this! Thank you! Sunfire Patti

Add your comment to this topic!