Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to repaint a freshly painted car panel (Used DupliColor Perfect Match spray paint)?

SunfirePattiCakes
06-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Hello. I have a 1999 Pontiac Sunfire in great condition with only 45,000 miles. The paint color is: Bright White U16 U9753. The original paint job still looks great except for some surface rust on driver's door bottom and a tiny bit on the side of the door. Then my son smashed driver's side fender as he was backing out of garage. Repair costs were prohibitive in that I did not want to sink over $1500.00 on this vehicle but I was embarrassed to drive it! So I decided to take it on as a project. I watched lots of YouTube videos and researched on the internet. First off I researched my paint color on a GM color code site and was given "Bright White WA9753".
I then went to Auto Zone and stocked up,on supplies: sanding disks, sand papers, sanding block, bondo, primer and paint. The gentleman at the store asked the model,and year of my vehicle and handed me (after I told him I wanted a matching spray paint)
"Dupl-Color Bright White WA 9753". When I needed more paint I went to Advanced Auto parts and same thing happened - handed
"Dupl-Color Bright White WA 9753". Again I ran out and went to O'Reily's and gentleman there also handed me "Dupl-Color Bright White WA 9753".
On Monday night, approximately 2 weeks after beginning my project, as I stood back to admire my hard work I noticed that the color was totally off! I know- couldn't I tell as I was spraying it on! Yes, it did look a little darker, but I thought that it would lighten up with another coat. Then I thought it would match better after the clear coat. I knew it wasn't supposed to exactly match, and seeing that three different people and a website all told me that was the proper color code I never thought I had used the wrong color!
On Tues. 6/9 after contacting Dupli Color's Customer Service I was told that Dupli Color's Perfect Match labeled
"Bright White WA9753" is not supposed to be "Bright White" but is in fact TAN!

Am I being unreasonable or does anyone else see something wrong with this picture? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
And if you are looking for a Bright White in Dupli Color's Perfect Match system: DO NOT use Bright White WA9753, because it is TAN!
Is there any easy way to remove freshly applied paint (4-5 day Dupli Color spray paint)?
Am I going to have to get down to the metal again?
What kind of spray paint and what to do about matching color? Would really appreciate any suggestions with this! Thank you! Sunfire Patti

polarzak
06-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Pretty depressing and pretty sloppy quality control over at Dupli Color. Frankly if I were you, I would complain bitterly and demand they replace the incorrectly labeled paint with the correct color.
As for painting again, my understanding is that it normally takes about 30 days for paint to cure. This is professional shop paint...but I am assuming Dupli color is the same. So, if I were you, I would obtain the correct color and respray it. There would be no need to sand down to the metal again. IF over 30 days, a light sanding to take the gloss off and respray. I am NO paint expert, but have painted a few things in my life. Someone with more experience may offer a better solution. good luck.

SunfirePattiCakes
06-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Ok. I think I've decided to try PlastiKote paint system. Anyone else tried this for an auto panel? Not Plasti-dip. I read a thread confusing the two. PlastiKote is able to match a GM color, the guy at the auto parts store was able to order it for me and I will have it tomorrow! I picked up the Primer and will begin my sanding process today or maybe tomorrow! If anyone's used this system let me know.
Thanks,
Patti

SunfirePattiCakes
07-01-2014, 08:07 PM
In all fairness to Dupli-Color I wanted to update everyone. After my frustration with the first Customer Service Rep (basically told me it was my fault and the 3 stores I bought paint from) at Dupli-Color's Customer Service Dept. I called back and spoke with Charlie at Customer Service. I am so glad I called back because it was a whole different experience! I just received a check from Dupli-Color for the money I wasted on my project due to using Dupli-Color's "Bright White". That is good Customer Service! Charlie was very understanding and sympathetic, and I will be sure to use this product again! In this day and age I believe in great customer service! Thanks Dupli-Color! Too bad you didn't have my color, because I did like your product, the nozzle and the way the paint went on.

After sanding all the newly applied paint off my door and fender,
I primed using PlastKote on June 21st before going on vacation. I am now back and ready to resume my project. Tomorrow I hope to spray my Sunfire panels with PlastiKote's "Bright White" which is a really good color match. Hopefully I will be done with my project real soon!

ozzy44
06-07-2016, 10:32 AM
I had the same experience with Duplicolor WA 9753 "bright white" on a 2001 Chev Cavalier. After trying two cans and seeing that the true color was not CLOSE to "bright white"but more like tan, I decided to give up on Duplicolor. What I did instead was to go to a local auto body supply house and had them "read" the color of the paint ON the car with a spectrometer (FREE) . They then mixed the proper paint and put it in a "rattle can". The paint was a perfect match and it only cost me 20.00 for a 12oz can. Problem solved!

Tech II
06-07-2016, 11:09 AM
Painting cars that old can be a nightmare.....over time, the finish may look good, but the paint color can "fade".....so even if you get the correct code and paint, the painted portion will not look the same as the rest of the car.....a neutral color like white is more forgiving...

ozzy44
06-07-2016, 07:18 PM
I agree with Tech II about faded paint on old cars being a nightmare to match. However, getting the paint "digitally read" with a spectrometer at body shop supply house will get the match VERY CLOSE. With "white", it should be about a 96% match. Ok, this is not 100%. If you look at a NEW CAR, you will see that the plastic bumper covers hardly ever match the rest of the car! And as SunfirePattiCakes said "I didn't expect a PERFECT match. My 2001 Chev Cavalier, with 185,000mi, has ALWAYS been garaged so there is very little sun damaged paint. I was very satisfied with the custom mixed 1K paint, which by the way was enamel not lacquer, from the supply house.

Add your comment to this topic!