Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help with 2010 SEL Idle Issue????

bjlasota
06-09-2014, 05:30 AM
Good morning all,

My wife has a manual 2010 Focus SEL. We don't own it for a performance car, just a small family car to supplement our motorcycles! Anyways, We're having an issue with the car and hoping to solve it here. I'm a do-it-yourselfer, but I also don't consider to me an expert auto mechanic. So here's what's happening.

If you start the car, it will fire up and then die out right away. If you want to keep it running you have to throttle up. There are no dummy lights on the dash. Basically it's failing at idle, but you can keep it running by reving. No matter how long you rev it, it still dies out when letting off gas pedal. Here's what I did yesturday:
- Checked both the air intake for debris, the air filter, the MAF sensor(No buildup) However, found a little dandelion fuzzy on one of the resistors.
- I've looked down towards the throttle body and don't see any debris. Also vacuumed out the intake and no pluggage.
- Cleaned the terminals on the battery.

After the above, I Jumped the car and it fired right up and idles just fine. Drove it around to get it to operating temp and it still is running fine. Also monitored battery and alternator terminals with multimeter and debunked my issue being anything with the alternator or battery. So, my assumptions thus far is that it was the fuzzy on the MAF

So last night when we got home, before my wife had to go to work, I thought I'd fire her car up before just to see how it ran. It fired right up and idled around 1200 rpm. I let it warm up and then hit the throttle a few times. After the car settled down, it was idleing around 750-800 rpm. It was a rough idle and would shake slightly like it was going to die out. I tested this for about 10 minutes and it never actually died, but it sure seemed like it wanted to. I'm taking the day off work.

Where should I start troubleshooting? I want to debunk or find the issue in the order of cheapest and easiest to $$$$ and hardest. I've heard these cars fuel filters are part of the pump, so obviously that's something to try later today. Took the day off from work, so I'd like to start looking into what could cause issues. Anyone have an idea where I should start?

Bad Fuel? Bad fuel pump/filter? IAC issue? Anything else?

bjlasota
06-09-2014, 01:36 PM
After screwing around a bit this morning, I found that I'd smell a gas smell when I revved it up. Figured that maybe a plug was bad so when pulling off, I found that first 2 plugs on the front of the engine were soaked with oil. The last 2 plugs were dry. Anti-freeze looks good. THoughts?

bjlasota
06-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Anyone have the torque specs for the spark plugs and valve cover on a 2010 FOrd Focus?

Add your comment to this topic!