rear ends

gametrail
06-07-2014, 10:37 PM
I have a 2000 blazer ( s-10 type ) how do I find out which rear end to look for I have to change this one.

j cAT
06-08-2014, 08:10 PM
I have a 2000 blazer ( s-10 type ) how do I find out which rear end to look for I have to change this one.

you use the RPO codes found in the vehicle. look in the glove box . also with the vin# the dealership can print this out for you if missing .. then I would make a some copies and keep in the vehicle for future use.

somewhere here is a list of the GM RPO codes and the meaning. type diff and the gear ratios..

gametrail
06-14-2014, 04:22 PM
I think it was GU6 which means a 3:42 so is that all I need to know to get a used rear end?

j cAT
06-14-2014, 07:47 PM
I think it was GU6 which means a 3:42 so is that all I need to know to get a used rear end?

in addition to this code RPO there is on the axle codes. these are on the passenger side forward facing of the axle tube.

with these letters and numbers the dealership can give you more specific info on what you have ..this is an example 2AB = axle code K=manufacturer 103=day built 2= work shift built.

the diff cover will tell your what size ring gear. match with pictures ..

I believe all these used the same ring gear so you just need the same 3.42 ratio and replace the gears/bearings and pinion bearing. if required and also depends if your changing the axle tube and gears as a complete diff assy ..

gametrail
06-14-2014, 09:26 PM
I was going to get a complete read end from salvage yard

j cAT
06-15-2014, 08:53 AM
I was going to get a complete read end from salvage yard

with the same rear axle check for teeth wear and sludge in the box. if it is too worn/dirty get another.

after install and you run it a few hundred miles I would drop the rear cover clean it out and inspect the gears . if its looking good you should have no issues.

these rear ends will last the life of the vehicle if you change the diff oil every 30,000miles or so.. good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!