Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car hesitates at highway speeds after evap system fix ?

badbrakes
06-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Hello All,

03 Ody 190 000 kms.

A couple of years ago, had a warning light leading to the evap system. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the evap canister and other evap system components. Since then, the car has been hesitating at highway speeds at low RPMs. It seems that the problem occurs only in 'hot' weather. 75 farenheit and above. As we live in Canada where we get that temperature about 10 days a year.... I have been procrastining fixing the problem. However I want to tackle it now.

Is it possible that an evap system component is outside temperature related and causes that kind of problem ?

It's nothing violent in terms of 'hesitation' but when we drive it, the feeling is the same as if someone kicks your seat at the back on a plane (or bus, or train !). that's the best I can explain.

Anyone has seen this ?

badbrakes
06-16-2014, 03:11 PM
I think (aka hope) I found the problem. Pulled the intake cover and gasket. The 6 ports and all airways were filled with carbon. Ports and airways involved in the EGR system I believe. Cleaned the whole thing with carb cleaner and bought a new gasket. 30 minute job. The gasket was back order and just got it today. Will install later and give it a try.

Check out youtube - some videos show what the problem is.

badbrakes
06-18-2014, 11:59 AM
yup - that was the problem. Car runs like a charm now. 30$ fix. And a soap bar - gotta keep the hands clean.

badbrakes
08-27-2014, 04:21 AM
Update on this problem. Cleaning the intake plenum cover did help significantly. Maybe 80% of the problem was gone. But it was still hesitating a bit at low RPMs on the highway. I replaced the EGR valve and that did the trick. Very easy job on this car. 20 minutes - you're done.

Add your comment to this topic!