Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 Alternator instal on 3.1 help

CHEVY1
06-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Hello

well this is going to sound weird, but I got the old one out after some time and now I can't get the new one in. I have the bottom bolt and then the 2 brackets that attach to top of motor one to back of alternator and one is part of the upper bolt that has the welded on nut. and it seems whatever sequence I put them in a no go. The low long bolt that allows you to tilt towards firewall if I can't seem to get a wrench on the nut and on top of that the bracket that goes from the back of alternator and holds the tube clips is now not long enough so can I back that out some of the alternator to make all fit. Man it is a struggle so any help would be appreciated !!!! thank you also do the bolts need to be a torque setting? or just tight?
I know I am all over with my description, but a lot seems to have to happen to get it to fit. I guess a step by step would be nice. I will be turning 100,000 after I can get this done and I can't wait for the next 100,000

thanks for your time

jerryg2112
06-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Did you compare the old alternator to the new one? Sometimes when you buy a reman you don't get the right part or it's a little different and won't fit. If it is an exact replacement then maybe these instructions that I found will help.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the serpentine belt at the alternator.
Unfasten the bolt/screw from the alternator.
Remove the power steering gear pipe clip and nut.
Remove the stud from the alternator.
Detach the electrical connector from the alternator.
Loosen the alternator front and rear braces from the upper intake manifold.
Unfasten the nut and battery positive lead from the alternator output (BAT) terminal.
Remove the alternator from the vehicle.
To INSTALL: Position the alternator in the mounting bracket.
Attach the battery positive lead and the nut to the alternator output terminal. Tighten the nut to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
Hand start the alternator front and rear braces to the intake manifold.
Attach the electrical connector to the alternator. The connector will snap into place when it is correctly installed.
Install the retaining bolts/screws to the alternator. Tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
Fasten the alternator front and rear brace nuts to the intake manifold, then tighten the nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm). Make sure the alternator does not bind when tightening the brace nuts.
Install the stud on the alternator, then tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
Fasten the power steering gear pipe clip and nut.
Install the drive belt on the alternator.
Connect the negative battery cable.

Add your comment to this topic!