Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Isn't Caprice tougher than Crown Victoria?

lolz
05-24-2014, 07:17 PM
In terms of power, torque, looks, etc.? Both cars are real cop cars.

j cAT
05-25-2014, 08:45 AM
In terms of power, torque, looks, etc.? Both cars are real cop cars.

The caprice was the vehicle that the police used up here . the caprice could take a hit in the rear and not go up in flames . here the police cars are colored to blend in to the road surface color. a dark gray / blue combo. when there parked on the side of the road crashes often occur. the caprice could take these big hits much better than the ford.
Ford did make out , when GM dropped this vehicle line .

taxis also missed these type vehicles.

silicon212
05-25-2014, 11:05 AM
The LT1 Caprice was bar none the better car. As for rear end collisions -both cars fared about the same in DOT tests - remember these cars are getting hit by other cars traveling at 75+ MPH - most of the fires in the CVPI were found to be caused by police equipment mounted in the trunk lengthwise and thus impaling the fuel tank in a collision (the fuel tank on the 'Vic is mounted between the axle and the trunk floor - vertically). The solution was a trunk insert/organizer that forced equipment to be placed in laterally - and the insert also had a Kevlar blanket on it to keep things out of the fuel tank area in a collision.

I have a 1988 9C1 with a 5.7 and I also have a 2005 CVPI and they're actually both pretty much evenly matched in most categories.

Blue Bowtie
05-27-2014, 05:26 AM
Sandman - Does that include oil consumption?

silicon212
05-27-2014, 10:32 PM
I haven't noticed any oil consumption issues with mine yet, then I've only put about 4,000 miles on it. Time will tell.

I do know this - the Caprice gets 12MPG and the CV gets 20MPG in the city - that's why I am wanting to do the LT1 swap on the Caprice.

Blue Bowtie
05-31-2014, 09:41 PM
All you need is a converted LT1 intake and ECM/harness from a TPI system and you can have a simple LT1. Then again, with all the donors in the scrap yards it may be just as easy to do a complete swap. I updated a '57 Bel Air, a '69 Camaro, and '72 Chevelle to TPI and the toughest was the '72 due to a very tight dash to work within. Swapping in a late generation Cappy should be cake.

silicon212
06-03-2014, 01:04 AM
Another thing that might be a possibility is a complete Vortec 5700 swap - what are your ideas on that?

Blue Bowtie
06-03-2014, 06:07 PM
TBI might not net the same mileage as SFI. I know that my '94 still gets 26 MPG in pure highway driving mostly on cruise. That's with enlarged ports, enlarged valves, lumpier cam, tighter chambers, and a little programming. In town the mileage is not as good. I get about 20,000 miles per set (of rear tires).

silicon212
06-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Yeah that's what I am thinking, too. I've wanted an LT1 setup for a long, long time now, and now is the time to do it.

Now that I have that other thing, I can afford to park this one and do it right.

Add your comment to this topic!