Page updated on 11-18-2017

What is your "go to" semi gloss black?

coolnight
05-15-2014, 08:09 AM
So far I have been using Tamiya's X18 acrylic semi gloss black and its ok but sometimes it looks a little too glossy. I understand that the look can be altered by changing the air pressure and working distance but I'm looking for something a little more consistent.

In particular I've got a couple of Formula 1 builds in progress and am wondering how best to represent the "semi gloss black" parts such as suspension arms and the undertray. I will likely use carbon decals for many of these parts but some I may just want to paint. With that said, what is your "go to" semi gloss black? :biggrin:

MPWR
05-15-2014, 08:26 AM
I mix gloss black with a flat medium grey, and use that as semi gloss.

Straight black is really too dark for almost anything- especially as a generic color. Lightening it a bit adds tremendously to its in-scale appearance. I might use straight black very occasionally as an emphasis color- but when I do, less is more

For carbon fiber color, mix gunmetal with gloss (or flat) black.

Some_Kid
05-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Vallejo air black is the best semi gloss black acrylic on the market in my opinion.

JimboCO
05-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Gunze Mr. Color #92. Their black surfacer is very good too.

Kurzheck
05-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Polly Scale Steam Power Black

drunken monkey
05-15-2014, 01:32 PM
I tend to spray most of my semi-gloss and I use a local auto-store brand
i.e halfords satin black

bradfordian
05-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Zero semi gloss through airbrush.
;)

MarcoSaupe
05-15-2014, 04:24 PM
TS29 decanted and airbrushed.

lovegt40
05-15-2014, 08:39 PM
aeromaster acrylic semi gloss paint.

coolnight
05-15-2014, 10:41 PM
Gunze Mr. Color #92. Their black surfacer is very good too.
I'd like to try Mr.Hobby products but I don't know where to get them. Is there an online store that sells Mr.Hobby in the states?

Anyways I appreciate all the responses thus far, keep 'em comin' guys!!! :smokin:

sam01contact
05-15-2014, 11:38 PM
TS29 decanted and airbrushed.

:1:

Mist coats for a "flatter" finish...heavy coats for more gloss. Love it!

Mr Plumb
05-16-2014, 07:23 AM

Straight black is really too dark for almost anything- especially as a generic color. Lightening it a bit adds tremendously to its in-scale appearance. I might use straight black very occasionally as an emphasis color- but when I do, less is more

Hey MPWR :)

Could I trouble you for a few photos of interiors or parts you have done with you custom black paint mix?

I'm intrigued :)

Many thanks

Elliott

JimboCO
05-16-2014, 11:28 AM
I'd like to try Mr.Hobby products but I don't know where to get them. Is there an online store that sells Mr.Hobby in the states? :smokin:

Lots of them. Michigan Toy Soldier is a good one. If you search with "Gunze" on Amazon you will find it too.

eyckles
05-17-2014, 06:02 AM
I use Motip automotive semi gloss black decanted. Very cheap and gives an excellent result. I won't use anything else. I doesn't work on clear plastic for window trimming, but use tamiya semi gloss black for that.

Archetype123
05-19-2014, 12:15 AM
X-18. It's definitely love/hate relationship with that stuff. It's funny. One airbrush cup full it can look absolutely FANTASTIC if mixed with just the right amount of thinner and sprayed just right. But the next can look spotty, glossy, and all around crappy.

That's why I'll mix up a full cup to make sure it's perfect and get as many parts with it as I can.

MPWR
05-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Could I trouble you for a few photos of interiors or parts you have done with you custom black paint mix?

I'm intrigued :)

Here's a decent example.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb112/andrejmiller/360-081.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb112/andrejmiller/360-085.jpg

The mass airflow sensors and coolant overflow tank in particular show off the effect here. Also, the segmented rubber boots between the mass airflow sensors and the throttles are a great example. The instructions call out painting these as generic semi gloss black. But of course if you ever look at these parts on full scale cars, they are certainly not black. They are medium to dark grey. A bit of straight black can be used for emphasis as I've done here, in between the segment ridges.

Porsnatic
05-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Finisher's or Gunze Sangyo's Mr. Hobby ones...

willimo
05-27-2014, 11:52 PM
It probably photographs much better too, MPWR

nascar49
05-28-2014, 05:22 AM

What medium grey do you use ?
What gunmetal ?

Add your comment to this topic!