Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2005 Caravan SXT 10mph zipper noise

half-fast
05-13-2014, 02:08 PM
When the trans shifts from 1st to 2nd at 10mph, there is a weird sound like a big zipper being opened. It comes from the front floor pan (or lower door) area, mostly on the drivers side. If I pull away slowly, the zipper opens slowly. If I hammer the throttle, it zips real quick. Yes, I know it's not a big zipper. But that is what it sounds like. It did not do this until after the van sat for several months of non-use... the battery went dead and had to be recharged to start it. It does it going straight, or making turns. Always almost exactly at 10 mph (9-11). No other speed, no other time. It sounds kinda like a door lock motor rotating all the way to the end of its travel, but the automatic door lock stuff works at 20mph flawlessly. This van is kept in a garage and has very little mileage... none of it in snow/salt or bad weather. Any ideas?

RIP
05-16-2014, 01:32 AM
You've got me. Any chance you could video and post it? Post it on YouTube or similar then link it here.

half-fast
05-17-2014, 11:24 AM
It's actually my sisters van in Syracuse NY... I was there for Mothers Day and she asked me to take a look at it. Her husband just passed so she is now relying on her brothers for guidance. I live in NC.

Two of us worked on it for about an hour and we both can't nail it down. I'm a mechanic, but I would need to have the van in my shop here to work on it.

It sounds like some kind of servo triggered at 10mph or when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. Definitely below knee level and definitely in the front only.

Also kind of like a seatbelt retractor gone wild.

If we can't come up with any ideas, she will have to take it to a dealer and she doesn't trust them. She took it to one place and they told her she needed a new transmission. It shifts fine & smooth. It just makes that funky noise.

I was hoping a Dodge Caravan guru would be hanging out here.
She wants to visit me here in NC but is afraid to drive it round trip to NC from Syracuse.

aleekat
05-17-2014, 11:57 AM
I would recommend a transmission shop check for any codes.

half-fast
05-18-2014, 09:24 AM
I would recommend a transmission shop check for any codes.

Are you referring to OBD II codes, or separate transmission system codes? Her husband already took it to a transmission shop and they did not provide any "scan" evidence. They just dropped the transmission pan and said the transmission is shot. I rebuild transmissions, and a certain amount of sediment in the pan is normal wear, but I have heard of "not so honest" shops using this as evidence of a grenaded transmission. So... maybe I'll tell her to take it to a different shop.

Scotty89
05-18-2014, 03:18 PM
It is normal to see some stuff in the bottom of the pan from wear and tear. If there are any big chunks then I'd say something is wrong. I have herd transmissions making similar noises before. But it was in the newer 6 speed trans, not the 4 speed. You could manually shift the transmission using the shifter and see if it in a particular gear. If it sat for awhile it may just need to get the webs blown out. From past experience my first guess it's something internal in the trans.

aleekat
05-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Tranny codes do not throw any light. A reputable shop will connector the scanner and drive the vehicle to check for any codes. (not OBD II) This requires the Chrysler DRBIII scan tool (or compatible)...

half-fast
05-18-2014, 04:22 PM
Tranny codes do not throw any light. A reputable shop will connector the scanner and drive the vehicle to check for any codes. (not OBD II) This requires the Chrysler DRBIII scan tool (or compatible)...

That's what I was thinking. I'll call her and explain it to her.

aleekat
05-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Before picking a tranny shop, talk to friends, relatives co workers, BBB etc.

Scotty89
05-18-2014, 05:58 PM
Depending on what code is set it can turn the check engine light on. The pcm will set a P0700 code that basicly tells you that the tcm has a code and needs to be checked. Most of the time codes will be set for electrical issues. If it is mechanical a lot of the time it will not set a code.

half-fast
06-09-2014, 09:04 PM
She took it to a shop close to her home where her deceased husband had done business. They insisted they could scan it. Then they took it to another shop to get it scanned. Lie #1. They said she needs a new transmission. They insisted that they would do the work on-site, personally. After she gave them the OK, they admitted they were going to farm it out but stand there and watch the other shop to make sure they did a good job. Lie #2. They provided an estimate with no warranty. Lie #3. I told her to go get the van and bring it home ASAP, which she did. That's where it sits now.

Add your comment to this topic!