Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Taurus no power/start

mvansr
05-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Have a 1999 Taurus that has absolutely no power when you try to start. No interior lights no radio no dash lights nothing. This happened a few months ago but the alternator battery and ignition were all bad then. Replaced all those and for 3 months car has been fine. Yesterday stopped at gas station filled up and when i turned key ....nothing! Now if i turn headlights on and wiggle relay box under hood on occasion i can get power back and start the car. Has anyone came across this or am I just looking at another ignition switch?? ty mike

shorod
05-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Welcome to the forum!

There have been a lot of electrical gremlins associated with the Transmission Range Sensor. Next time this happens you might try shifting the car to neutral to see if that restores power and allows you to start the car.

-Rod

mvansr
05-14-2014, 12:10 PM
so i replaced the ignition switch last night started car a couple times and left it til this morning when i had to come to work. car started right up but for the first couple miles the theft light was flashing like crazy then went out. at lunch car started right up again with the rapidly flashing theft light.

Add your comment to this topic!