Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SV6 Red Brake Light

rhb3
05-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Hello and thanks for reading!

I have a 2006 Pontiac SV6 with ~178k miles. 4x wheel disc brake.

Earlier this week, my red brake light dash indicator illuminated along with the message indicating "Service Brake System". I should note that I've had the ABS and Traction indicators on for 18mo or so and have been driving without ABS for some time.

The red indicator is a bit more ominous from my perspective so I'm digging in a bit. It seems I can clear it using the ELM code scanner/reader and sending a clear codes command when the engine is running. However, the very next start here is what occurs:

Key on
Parking brake off
No red brake indicator
Go in drive or reverse and red indicators activated within ~10 seconds
It is on for the next start (most times)

I've also added some brake fluid but it wasn't really low.

I unplugged the fluid level sensor and shorted it with some wire and verified that the Low Brake Fluid message came on as well (so I'm ruling this out).

While driving slowly I started to lightly depress the parking brake and I get the audible alarm along with the Parking Brake On message so I believe this switch is also working (ruling it out).

I've visually inspected the lines and don't see a leak.

The pedal doesn't really feel different.

I haven't a code reader for the braking system (or I'm not sure how to access it with the ELM tool).

I'm thinking of bleeding the lines a bit as the fluid is the original and see what happens.

Any input or advice s much appreciated! :confused:

-Rich

Add your comment to this topic!