Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'07 classic Silverado temp sensor

327chevy
05-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Got a bud with this truck,it has a 5.3L and just recently it's started in acting bad as in not running right and the temp gauge isn't reading correctly.Is there any history of the temp sending units going bad in the classic series of 5.3 engines?From the way the engine is flooding and running poorly we're guessing that the incorrect coolant temperature is being sent to the computer causing improper fueling.So that being said I don't know if there's any codes being thrown,we haven't scanned it yet,I'm posting here to get some idea of what to look for or better yet where the temp sending unit is so if we have to we can change it.

j cAT
05-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Got a bud with this truck,it has a 5.3L and just recently it's started in acting bad as in not running right and the temp gauge isn't reading correctly.Is there any history of the temp sending units going bad in the classic series of 5.3 engines?From the way the engine is flooding and running poorly we're guessing that the incorrect coolant temperature is being sent to the computer causing improper fueling.So that being said I don't know if there's any codes being thrown,we haven't scanned it yet,I'm posting here to get some idea of what to look for or better yet where the temp sending unit is so if we have to we can change it.

what you have to do is figure out if it is the ECT or the thermostat ? if you have a lot of heat meaning it is hotter than you can handle then the ECT will report a low temp falsely and the engine will run rich.

if you have little heat / radiator hoses not hot , then the thermostat is stuck open. if this is true then the ect will report a cold engine and it will run rich. I think its 165 deg f or more to get the proper PCM fuel control ..too low then it can damage the cat converters etc...

as far as location on the head / block area driver side forward near the #1 spark plug..

Add your comment to this topic!