Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can I Add Aux. Input to 2003 Venture OEM Radio?

Greg Gore
05-08-2014, 12:17 PM
We want to put an auxiliary jack for IPod, etc., in our 2003 Venture and have some questions on how to go about it. Factory radio is AM/FM, Cassette with CD player and there is no aux button on this radio. We would like to avoid aftermarket stereo shop type adapters behind the dash if at all possible. Would you favor tapping into one of the other inputs with a switch and a jack or would a later model radio swap right in without having to modify the dash?

Thanks, Greg

Tech II
05-08-2014, 05:25 PM
You would be better off with an aftermarket radio.......

You can talk to an advisor to get all the options you want......I believe they give a free installation kit with their radios......

Check these out:

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/All-Car-Stereos.html#?avf=Y&nvpair=AG_Type%7CffCD&nvpair=FFBluetooth_Hands_Free_Calling%7CBuilt-in&nvpair=AG_iPod%2FiPhone%20Control%7CFFiPhone_5_Com patible&nvpair=FFUSB_Input%7CFront&nvpair=AG_Auxiliary_Input%7CFFFront

jerryg2112
05-08-2014, 08:54 PM
The cassette adapters that plug into the headphone jack work very well. Sound quality is better than playing a actual cassette since there is no hiss.

Greg Gore
05-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Many thanks for the replies! This is the radio I have, no headphone jack that I know of. I would like to retain an OEM GM radio even though an aftermarket radio might be better. Would like to know if I can modify this one and install an aux input jack on the front somewhere or would a later GM radio already equipped with the input bolt right in without having to modify the mounts or cut the dash opening?

http://www.oemradios.com/images/gm_radios/CHEVY-VENTURE.jpg

Tech II
05-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Your best bet would be to take it to a radio repair shop, and see what they say....

I'd rather have a radio that already has the input jack in it, that is Bluetooth compatible for hands free talking, has MP3 capability, satellite ready, more power, etc.

Greg Gore
05-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Your best bet would be to take it to a radio repair shop, and see what they say....

I'd rather have a radio that already has the input jack in it, that is Bluetooth compatible for hands free talking, has MP3 capability, satellite ready, more power, etc.

I would too which is why I was asking if a later model radio would swap right in but I'm getting up there in age to the point I don't know if I need power to rattle other cars around me with big woofers, etc. Actually the reason for this is I currently have an XM radio adapter which I've used for the past several years but after they merged with Sirius the quality of the service has been getting worse and I'd like to replace them with an Ipod or Pandora, etc.

Thanks!

Greg Gore
05-11-2014, 07:55 AM
I just discovered a radio shop is selling refurbished GM radios which they have also added the aux jack.

Ididnt[BreAK]it
06-23-2014, 11:31 AM
I used a Converter by DPX Technology Plus GM12-AUXV2 Stock and I can use my Steering controls.

Add your comment to this topic!