Page updated on 11-23-2017

painting fine stripes

GTRfan01
05-07-2014, 10:32 PM
hi all,
some advise needed from you airbrushing masters out there...!

i am planning a build that there are no decals available.
the original car had very fine stripes on it and i need to replicate them.

i will be air brushing this, ive thought about getting a sheet of waterslide and cutting it into strips but i really dont think it will work that well and it'll be less trouble just taping and air brushing.

my questions are;
what tape is the best to use to get perfect edges? will the tamiya tape do the job ok or is there a better option?

will it even be possible to get them right being this fine?

this is what im trying to do, i'll be doing a 1/24 model
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a558/Benk01/r31picrichards_zps7beb8532.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/Benk01/media/r31picrichards_zps7beb8532.jpg.html)

hirofkd
05-08-2014, 12:40 AM
I'd take either one of these two approaches.

Use Modeler's Meta-Look adhesive foil (similar to BareMetal) as a masking tape. Once the paint is applied, I'll slice the paint film along the border line with a hobby knife with a brand new blade in order to ensure clean separation of the masking material.

Second option is to airbrush blue and red on a sheet of white decal paper while you paint the red and blue areas of the body (so the colors will match exactly), then cut out lines, and apply them one by one. Since you'll have a plenty of colored decal sheet to work with, you can redo as many times as you want until you're happy with the result.

Since all of the lines seem straight, it should be easy to cut those stripes, so I'd probably take the second option.

GTRfan01
05-08-2014, 02:14 AM
ok thanks for your advice hirofkd

stevenoble
05-08-2014, 06:42 PM
I would use Tamiya tape. Paint the whole car white then cut down the tape with a brand new scalpel blade and a steel ruler to match the gaps between the stripes. Apply the strips of tape, mask the rest of the body and then spray the blue and red sections. It won't be too difficult a task as the striped portions are all straight anyway.

Add your comment to this topic!