Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Freeing Rusted Brake Lines

makuloco2000
05-07-2014, 02:25 PM
This is very common on vehicles in the rust belt of America and can turn a simple wheel cylinder job into a nightmare. In this video I go over a few tips along with demonstrations of the two most popular ways to solve this problem. Before you go trying to turn it free and twist up the line check it out.

LcJQa9kh_js

65comet
05-07-2014, 03:27 PM
I don't know if it was because of the extremes we had this past winter or what, but I've had more bleeder screws snap off than if you added up the others for the past 30 years. I've let them soak in different spray penetrants for days and also heated with a torch, but snap, snap, snap and off I go to get a new cylinder or caliper.

shorod
05-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Living in Iowa I've seen my share of rusty bleeder screws. One trick that seemed to work quite reliably is to use a spot sand blaster, blast the bleeder screw area to get it free of most rust, then apply PB Blaster, let it soak for several minutes, then open the bleeder. I don't recall a bleeder ever breaking when doing this method.

-Rod

65comet
05-08-2014, 07:18 AM
Spot sand blaster, hmm, I'll have to pick one up and try it.

shorod
05-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Yep, worth the $20 or so for something like this (http://www.harborfreight.com/gravity-feed-blaster-gun-93221.html).

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!