Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Abs light & brake light come on.

JBERRYFORD
05-05-2014, 05:38 PM
mY 2002 Windstar abs & brake lights come on after driving a while. would it be ABS module?

tomj76
05-05-2014, 05:50 PM
It could be a sensor, or the wiring between the sensor and the module. The only way to know if get the code that is stored.

The code CAN be read if you have a code reader that supports ABS. You can try an autoparts store to get the code read. Autozone reads PCM codes, but I don't think they read ABS codes at this time. It can't hurt to ask. Many other stores support this as well, as long as the local cartels haven't made any laws against it.

You'll have a much better idea of where to look once you have a code.

scubacat
05-05-2014, 07:18 PM
It's worth getting scanned, but I would have to say (and I don't mean to be a contarian here, but..) it's probably the ABS module itself since it's a known problem. The model these vans use suffer from a broken solder joint on the circuit board. I pulled mine off, cut the plastic case open, resoldered all the big solder joints, covered them with conformal coating, and epoxied the cover back on. That fixed my issue and would probably fix yours, but I'll warn you that it is a bit of work. You might be better off sending it off to a rebuilder (search ebay..) who will do it for you.

oldgearhead
05-27-2014, 10:23 PM
My 2001 Windstar has the same problem with the brake MIL's. The DTC is C1185. As I understand it while those two lights are on the ABS system is 'inactive'. Is that correct?

Also, I understand the ABS module must be removed and sent to a re-builder to solve the problem. Is that correct?

I think the location of this module is under the battery and the engine coolant
must be drained before removing it. Is that correct?

How difficult is the task of removing the module?
Does removing the fuse disable both the ABS system and the MIL's?

scubacat
05-27-2014, 11:21 PM
No, the module is mounted on top of the HCU under a plastic cover near the fuel filter under the driver's seat (around that area). If you unbolt the mounting bracket, you can lower the assembly a little bit and you MAY be able to get a torx screwdriver in there to unscrew the module from the HCU without disconnecting the brake lines (use a mirror to see the screws from underneath.) However, if they are rusted, it'll be impossible and you'll have to disconnect the lines and remove the entire assembly and then fight the screws on the bench. In that case, you'll need a dealer-level scan tool to bleed out the brake system when you reconnect everything.

oldgearhead
05-28-2014, 07:27 AM
1) So this 'How to' is entirely bogus?
http://www.ehow.com/how_8007531_replace-abs-computer-ford-windstar.html
So in my 2001 Windstar what is that module right under the air intake hose?

2) If the meantime, would it be safer to remove the ABS fuse, rather than risk
on and off ABS? Currently the amber 'ABS' and the red 'Brake' are on about 60% of the time. Does that mean ABS IS active for the other 40%?

scubacat
05-28-2014, 10:14 AM
That might be the cruise control module; not sure. I'll have to look. It's definitely under the driver's seat. That web site is incorrect. I'll post a copy of the workshop manual so you can see what both the cover and the modules looks like. The diagrams are pretty accurate.

I would not remove the fuses. I believe there are 2 or 3 different ones that also control other components. Even if it's off, it doesn't affect normal braking, so it's not a safety issue (other than not having ABS when you might really need it.)

nigel1965
05-28-2014, 06:31 PM
I had this issue a couple of years ago, but my issue included low brake fluid in the master cylinder reservoir.
I was unable to locate any leaks in the lines or cylinders, however there was a sensor under the master cylinder that turned out to be the cause of the leak. This is for a 97 windstar, I don't know if the 2002 has the same sensor.
The issue was the subject of a recall not long after I replaced the sensor myself, but fords refunded the cost of the part after I took it in for the recall check up. they actually valeted the vehicle while it was in which was nice.

oldgearhead
05-28-2014, 07:25 PM
Yes the 09S09 recall was done by Ford in 2010. They noted the switch WAS leaking when the car was brought in. Thanks Nigel and Scubacat. I guess I'll crawl under the beast and see how difficult it is to remove only the ECU part of the ABS system, and then send it to a re-builder. Can the car be driven with the module removed?

scubacat
05-29-2014, 09:59 AM
Yes, you can drive it without the ECU if you are able to disconnect it from the HCU while still connected to the brake lines. You might want to cover the top of the HCU and wrap the electrical connector in some plastic or something to keep dirt out.

vtouba
05-09-2015, 12:52 AM
See my response to Mustang_Driver, who had the same problem (as did I). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Add your comment to this topic!