Page updated on 11-20-2017

Painting tips needed - buttons & gauges

Johan_SWE
05-05-2014, 08:30 AM
I canīt seem to get the result I want when painting buttons and gauges on the dashboards of my builds.
I normally use a small brush and mask off the areas around the buttons, but the end result is either

a squarish painted area or

paint bleeds out unevenly destroying the round shape

Noticed on loads of the interior photos here that you seem to master this.
What is the best way of painting the buttons?
Freehand with a pointed brush?

/J.

CFarias
05-05-2014, 11:47 AM
I dab a bit of paint on the top of the button with a toothpick. It works well for me.

MPWR
05-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Freehand with a pointed brush?

This is certainly an approach I use often.

Got any pictures or examples of what you're trying to do?

griffin-gt40
05-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Is your brush "wet"? if so, thats too much paint on it. I have an old tea towel I use to dry my brushes after cleaning and before applying paint to gauges or raised areas, like trim in an interior I'll swipe the brush across the towel lightly to take away some of the paint. There's still paint on the tip of the brush now but not enough to "run down" the raised area. Also, what type of paint are you using? I use acrylics, like tamiya or gunze. They clean up with water and you can remove excess easily with a small damp sponge, like the ones women use to remove make-up. I get those at the $1 stores. If you're painting buttons like a race car, if you want to use different colours, I put flat aluminum, tamiya xf-16 on them first then I'll use red yellow green etc after the base has dried, again, using the "dry brush" not one that is "wet". Hope this helps some.

David

viperofoz
05-07-2014, 07:09 AM
I dab a bit of paint on the top of the button with a toothpick. It works well for me.

I've always done the same with great results.

Regards, Dan

Some_Kid
05-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Sometimes a toothpick isn't sharp enough. I've used sewing needles before too.

rallymaster
05-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Sometimes a toothpick isn't sharp enough. I've used sewing needles before too.

it is, if you sand it ! :naughty:
that's what I do when it's not sharp enough. :grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!