Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Attention to detail...

mattbacon
05-02-2014, 02:01 PM
So there I am, attaching the mirrors to my Tamiya LFA. They have little squarish recesses on the body, and a small square "plinth" on the mirror stalk. I put them on, and they aren't symmetrical. I clean off the glue, and try again. Same result. Then I clean up the plinth and the socket and try again. Still not the same. And then it occurs to me. They aren't MEANT to be the same. Mr Tamiya has engineered the kit so that the mirrors are in the correct positions as if a driver was behind the wheel. The nearside is pretty well at 90 degrees to the body, for a view straight back, and the offside is at 45 degrees or so. I can't think of any other kit I've built where the mirrors are deliberately offset asymmetrically to the correct positions...

Wow...

bestest,
M.

jano11
05-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Must have been a very detail conscious engineer who led the design of the kit.
Never seen this happen before. It wouldn't bother me if all scale model kits were made with such attention to detail.

freakray
05-02-2014, 04:35 PM
I like the theory but most cars the mirrors swivel within the housing so the housings are fixed and at the same angle. I can't imagine Lexus would make the entire housing swivel.

Overhead view of the LFA makes them appear symmetrical.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2545/4112295094_d88f41cc1b.jpg

Has anyone that's built the LFA noticed this?

Add your comment to this topic!