Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cluster Issue

Wolfie_85
04-28-2014, 09:08 PM
I have a 1988 Trofeo and the instrument cluster is not working. I have had to replace the CPS before, but this seems different. The Twilight Sentinel and climate control is working fine, along with interior lights (except the dash). When the CPS was bad, these didn't work. What could it be? The cluster and dash lights work sometimes, but everything else is consistent! Also, the chime continues after you close the door as well. It didn't used to do that, either.

I swear this thing is possessed.

maxwedge
04-29-2014, 07:30 AM
The digital clusters failed in the first 3 years when I worked for Oldsmobile, very common, poor internal connections and soldered terminals.

Wolfie_85
04-29-2014, 10:48 AM
But the hell of it is that I know it works. Unless the CPS is to blame again, but still somehow lets everything but the dash lights and cluster work. Can the cluster cause the dash lights not to work? I checked fuses, even checked the photo sensor for the Twilight Sentinel. All that is working fine.

maxwedge
04-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Try and get a wiring diagram for the dash and check the circuits.

Wolfie_85
04-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Ok, so I now know it's not the CPS. This makes me question whether or not the cluster is just working when it feels like it. Short of the display itself, I'm not sure what else it is. I am hoping it's not the display, but I want to eliminate other issues. I shall tinker more. Any suggestions are welcome. And yes, I will consult a diagram, now that I know it's going to be harder to track down.

Wolfie_85
05-17-2014, 03:54 PM
I think I got it working. Oddly enough, I took the cluster out, replaced it with a used one I found, and learned the one I picked up had an issue where the tach displays. I put the old one back in and it worked. I have no idea.

Now it says "lighting issue". Seriously. Why? I don't see an issue!

Add your comment to this topic!