Page updated on 11-19-2017

Airbrush & zero paints

aieridis
04-26-2014, 12:38 AM
Hi there,
I am using zero paints with airbrush that has a 0,3mm needle. Do you, other fellow modellers use similar needle thickness, or use 0,5mm ones? Which one suits you best?
thanks
Alex

eyckles
04-26-2014, 04:23 AM
Hi Alex,

For primer and clear coat i use 0.5mm needle and nozzle. For basecoat. A 0.35mm needle and nozzle. Work great. I think you can use a 0.3mm needle and nozzle for basecoat without issues, but i would recommend a 0.5mm needle and nozzle for clear and primer.

Best regards,
Lesley

aieridis
04-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Also, I thin the paint by 1:1 ration using Zero Paints thinner and I still get a feel like "coarse sanding paper" look on my model.
The pressure is ok, but I cannot get what is wrong anyway. Do I have to spray between time-intervals? and how long these would be?

eyckles
04-26-2014, 02:49 PM
Also, I thin the paint by 1:1 ration using Zero Paints thinner and I still get a feel like "coarse sanding paper" look on my model.
The pressure is ok, but I cannot get what is wrong anyway. Do I have to spray between time-intervals? and how long these would be?

You don't to thin the paint. It's prethinned. I always spray with 15 to 20 psi presure. Works great.

modellmaker.
04-26-2014, 06:26 PM
I don't know the thickness of my needle.
I Just adjusted the pressure untill I was satisfied with the result.
Zero-paint is perfect for airbrushing.

Modellmaker.

Tompidom
04-27-2014, 07:22 AM
I don't thin the paint. Somtime the primer needs a litle thinning but ot much. I use a 0.3 needle and a 0.4 they both work fine. I spray with 42 PSI or 3 Bar.

stevenoble
04-28-2014, 01:05 PM

When you say "coarse sanding paper" are you talking about the base coat before clear has been applied? If you are then it can have some texture, but I would never describe it as "coarse" As your using a smaller nozzle size it may be advisory to add more thinner and use a touch more air pressure. Don't go too high with the pressure though. If that helps great if not, try a reduction in pressure but still with the extra thinner and see how that goes. I use a 0.5mm nozzle with extra thinner and 25-30 psi at the airbrush and it always sprays well, nice and smooth. Different airbrushes may react differently so experiment a little. The paint needs to be thin, like milk consistency usually works best.

daniel_k
04-30-2014, 07:57 AM

please note that all base colors are matte, so if you want them to be perfectly smooth and shiny you need to clearcoat them.

I use a 0.3 nozzle and it works perfect for me from scales 1/43 to 1/12. I usually thin all paints with zero thinner altough they are "prethinned". For clearcoats I thin my paint around 50/50 to get a nearly perfect smooth finish, but even then I still sand everything and polish to a high gloss finish.

Vric
04-30-2014, 11:50 PM
I use an Iwata Hp-c plus which is 0.3mm. Work perfect, no need to thin. Metalic paint sometime clog, but it's rare and easy to fix.

I now have a new iwata hp-m2 (single action 0.4mm) for those kind of paint, but still didn't try it with zero paint.

Add your comment to this topic!