Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Head gasket repair additives,

tempfixit
04-22-2014, 12:08 PM
I have a 98 Windstar with 243K and I believe I have a bad head gasket or cracked head. 3.0 Vulcan engine. The tail pipe is clean telling me that I am burning coolant and the level does go down very, very slowly.

Question is what head gasket additives does everyone recommend, thermagasket, steel seal, etc.

I do not have the time currently to do the repair correctly.

thanks

Larry

12Ounce
04-22-2014, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry, but I think "Elbow Grease" is the only effective additive...chemical or otherwise.

phil-l
04-23-2014, 07:45 AM
Well - it isn't the "right" fix, but I've had some good experiences with Bar's Leaks. I once used it to delay dealing with a friend's outrageously-difficult-to-get-to heater core. The infamous coolant smell disappeared from the car, and no more moisture on the windshield. That was several years ago; last I heard, it's still working...

tempfixit
04-23-2014, 11:32 AM
I did smell antifreeze about a month ago but have not lately.

I have used bars leak before but I do not like that it plugs heater cores. I am thinking of getting some sodium silicate and trying that. I need to do some testing to make sure I am getting gases in the coolant and which cylinder it is.

I know replacing gaskets and checking heads and surfaces is the best fix but right now it is not a good time for me to do the repair.

Any other opinions greatly appreciated.

phil-l
04-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Note that Bar's Leaks has several products - at least one of which contains sodium silicate. One may be a good match for your situation. I looked here for info:

http://barsproducts.com/catalog/brand/all/component/cooling

jerryg2112
04-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Years ago I fixed a head gasket leak on a 88 regal with alumaseal or a similar aluminum flake product. The leak was by the firewall and it was sealed for years. Don't remember if there was oil in the coolant. It's like putting in pepper. You could try a pinch or two instead of the whole tube and then there would be less chance of clogging something else up.

tempfixit
04-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Note that Bar's Leaks has several products - at least one of which contains sodium silicate. One may be a good match for your situation. I looked here for info:

http://barsproducts.com/catalog/brand/all/component/cooling

Thanks for the link phil-l, I will probably try one. I was going to get some testing stripes but they wanted over $30 for a kit. I will probably use the heavy duty one of bars leak.

I keep you posted on results.

Add your comment to this topic!