Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Whats Leaking

tkswan
04-19-2014, 01:02 PM
2002 LS V8 192k miles

There is a light yellowish fluid leaking, with the consistency of anti-freeze just behind the left front wheel. I thought it was coming from the degas bottle but the anti freeze is green. All other reservoirs are full. From what i've noticed so far, i've lost about a pint of fluid. Is this transmission fluid?

aleekat
04-19-2014, 03:49 PM
I'd still lean towards antifreeze. Tranny fluid is normally red. Pressure tester from local parts store, "loan a tool" program.

shorod
04-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Old brake fluid can have that coloration. Carefully inspect your brake lines and check the level of fluid in your master cylinder.

-Rod

tkswan
04-20-2014, 12:38 PM
I'd still lean towards antifreeze. Tranny fluid is normally red. Pressure tester from local parts store, "loan a tool" program.

My anti freeze is green so it cant be that.

tkswan
04-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Old brake fluid can have that coloration. Carefully inspect your brake lines and check the level of fluid in your master cylinder.

-Rod

I checked the brake fluid levels. I'm thinking that on my last oil change they overfilled my brake fluid reservoir, I know it appeared to be low because all the fluid is in the calipers. I haven't done a brake job in awhile. or, is it possible that this oil is from the AC compressor?

aleekat
04-20-2014, 01:31 PM
I checked the brake fluid levels. I'm thinking that on my last oil change they overfilled my brake fluid reservoir, I know it appeared to be low because all the fluid is in the calipers. I haven't done a brake job in awhile. or, is it possible that this oil is from the AC compressor?

If your last a/c work added dye.

shorod
04-20-2014, 09:32 PM
It's possible that it's oil from the A/C system. The compressor on my wife's 2002 LS leaked. It would be ahead of the driver's side (left) wheel though. I don't recall if her car had a pan underneath that might allow the oil to collect and drip out toward the rear of the wheel....

-Rod

tkswan
04-21-2014, 10:41 AM
AC is dry and working just fine. I think its brake fluid. it got filled last weekend on the oil change. That's when the leak started, and the brake fluid level dropped to about half full. Is that normal for it to spit out excess brake fluid?

shorod
04-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Are you sure it's an active leak? Maybe when the shop was topping off the master cylinder they spilled and it took it a bit to collect and drip. If they didn't fill it past the "full" mark it should not puke out. That is, until someone compressed the brake caliper pistons and pushes all that fluid back in to the reservoir, where there will be no room for it.

-Rod

Crvett69
04-21-2014, 01:45 PM
you may have a leaking caliper or hose. also check your power steering fluid, it can be clear, red or yellow from age but if you low on brake fluid would suspect a leak and overfull it should not overflow if cap is on tight

tkswan
04-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Are you sure it's an active leak? Maybe when the shop was topping off the master cylinder they spilled and it took it a bit to collect and drip. If they didn't fill it past the "full" mark it should not puke out. That is, until someone compressed the brake caliper pistons and pushes all that fluid back in to the reservoir, where there will be no room for it.

-Rod

Strange. Its not leaking all the time, it seems to "burp" and barf fluid. I've watched it for several days now and it has not put out a single drip and the reservoir is just over half full. I'm keeping my eyes on it but i'm starting to think these guys did something intentional to meke me think theres a problem. This started after they changed my oil, and this was my first visit to this shop. Oh, and they shortchanged me on a quart of oil. They loaded 5qts. An oil change with filter on this car calls for 6 quarts. $73. I won't be going back. This is why I don't like people messing with my car.

tkswan
04-21-2014, 06:33 PM
you may have a leaking caliper or hose. also check your power steering fluid, it can be clear, red or yellow from age but if you low on brake fluid would suspect a leak and overfull it should not overflow if cap is on tight

Thanks. The areas around the calipers are dry. PS and all other levels are full.

Add your comment to this topic!