brake chatter

mittens30
04-04-2014, 08:22 AM
I have a 2007 sonata with a brake problem that has my mechanic stumped. When I apply very light brake pressure to stop, I hear a chattering noise coming from my front wheel. I don't feel anything, I just hear this chatter. If I apply harder pressure or release pressure the chatter stops. I have replaced both front rotors. When the caliper parts are greased and put back on this chatter stops but comes back in a day or so. I sure would appreciate any feed back on this problem. Thanks.

badbrakes
06-05-2014, 12:57 PM
The brakes at the front are fairly straightforward/standard on that thing. For whatever it's worth,here's how I would approach it (in order)

1) I would first check that the slider pins are well lubed. One pin should have a small rubber sleeve on it. Make sure it's there and not damaged.

2) Make sure the pads slide freely and well lubed at the pins. Make sure that are lubed at the back where the caliper contacts. They need to slide freely but need to be snugged between the pins. You should be able to slide then by hand (when they are off the calipers of course) but they should stay in the caliper bracket if upside down.

3) make sure your torques are to spec.

4) if still a problem. Start considering investigating the suspension and drive shafts perhaps.

Add your comment to this topic!