Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Firebird 3.8 cranks but won't start

99firebird
04-03-2014, 08:36 AM
I've got a 99 Firebird and a couple weeks ago it quit on me out of the blue. It was running fine, just changed the oil and filled up the tank over the weekend. Drove to work on Monday ok and stopped at the store on the way home. When I came out of the store with my rotisserie chicken for dinner, the car would crank and catch a bit but wouldn't stay running. I could get it to fire up with the gas pedal and wind it up to 3 or 4 grand but would chug and spit and die at idle. Had to trailer it home. I have no codes, good fuel pressure measured on the fuel rail, bought a spark plug tester and have spark on all the coil lines, totally drained the fuel tank and put different fuel in, the 1 easy spark plug to get at I pulled and it was damp. No blown fuses for injectors. Anybody have any ideas where to go next?

99firebird
04-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Guess no one had any ideas. I was out today working on it and discovered if I pull the plug on the MAF sensor the engine runs. It then gives a code after while and show P0102 which is Mass Air Flow sensor circuit, low input. Still not sure to go out and buy a new sensor. It prices online at NAPA for $185.

Tech II
04-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Sorry we missed your post......

The usual problems with this engine, are the crank sensor, ICM, secondary ignition, fuel pressure, fuel pressure regulator, upper plenum coolant leak, and MAF.......

Disconnecting the MAF and starting it, and it runs ok....reconnect it and it doesn't start, is one of the tests for a bad MAF sensor.....

Can try cleaning the sensor, with MAF cleaner....but unless you were using an oiled K&N filter, this doesn't usually work...

Unfortunately, I have not had much luck with aftermarket reman MAF's.....have had then bad right out of the box.....have had them fail in a couple of days.....can get brand new or reman OEM...more expensive, but, more reliable....

99firebird
04-15-2014, 07:59 AM
The $185 unit on NAPA was the new, hopefully OEM. I wasn't sure if that was the culprit, so went down to the local junk yard and got one for $37.10. Works. Hopefully for good.

Add your comment to this topic!