Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 Jeep Liberty knocking

whoender
03-25-2014, 08:45 PM
I have an 02 Jeep Liberty 3.7. It has a top side engine knock. I removed valve covers to inspect the rocker. All still attached and no sludge or carbon build up. There is not an idiot light on the dash and no smoke nor loss of power. I am at a standstill. Any suggestions?

rhandwor
03-29-2014, 05:02 PM
I have an 02 Jeep Liberty 3.7. It has a top side engine knock. I removed valve covers to inspect the rocker. All still attached and no sludge or carbon build up. There is not an idiot light on the dash and no smoke nor loss of power. I am at a standstill. Any suggestions?
Try some hydraulic lifter cleaner put in oil about a week before you change the oil.

GTP Dad
04-01-2014, 04:43 AM
Are you hearing a knock or a tap? A knock usually indicates something in the bottom end of the engine while a tap usually indicates a lifter issue. Try to isolate the location of the source of the problem by knowing where the sound originates will help us diagnose the issue. I also suggest you check the belt tensioner. If it is bad it may be knocking due to excessive movement.

Add your comment to this topic!