Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 Camry Not Starting

beltman713
03-22-2014, 08:41 PM
Hello All,

I get a call from my mother saying their 1994 Toyota Camry 2.2L car won't start. I went over there today and the first thing I check was the spark. I hooked my spark tester and had my dad crank the engine over. No spark. So I removed the distributor cap and tested the resistance on the primary and secondary sides of the coil. The secondary side was low. So I went and got a new coil, installed it and it still wouldn't start. I checked the spark again and it had spark, but still wouldn't start. I then proceeded to check the fuel pressure. I hooked up my pressure tester to fuel filter, with the included adapter, and had my dad turn the ignition switch to ON position. No pressure. Then I had him try and start the engine, the pressure jumped up to 41 PSI. I then sprayed a little gas into the throttle and the engine would try to start. I'm stuck. Anyone have any ideas?

Brian R.
03-23-2014, 03:26 AM
Download a Toyota Service manual for your car here (http://dc361.4shared.com/download/MS7dfHjc/1994_Camry_Repair_Manual.zip?tsid=20140323-084027-b39cebcb&lgfp=2000) . You may have to register with the website.

First make sure your spark is really hot and blue, not a weak red or yellow spark.

Check the plugs quality and wires for damage and resistance.

Check the distributor cap and rotor for cracks or arcing trails.

Check the fuel flow rate, not just the pressure.

Injectors may be plugged or badly fouled.

If you're getting a check engine light, with the ignition switch on, bridge terminals TE1 and E1 of the data link connector (paper clip) and read the diagnostic trouble code from the malfunction indicator lamp.

See if there is a trouble code indicated and, if so, what it tells you.

See http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3259480&postcount=33

bigrick7
04-01-2014, 08:20 PM
if the engine tries to start when you spray engine starting fluid into the throttle body,then it seems your problem is gas not getting into the cylinder. i would first check for a clogged fuel filter if filter is ok i would change the fuel pump.

Cressidaadr
06-18-2014, 06:42 PM
What was the resolution to the starting problem?

beltman713
06-19-2014, 07:24 PM
What was the resolution to the starting problem?

My brother-in-law and a buddy of his, looked at it and tapped a relay under the passenger side kick panel and it started right up. So now it is running.

Brian R.
06-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Replace that relay

Add your comment to this topic!