Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Anyone else here hate the sound of the new F1 engines? :)

klutz_100
03-17-2014, 05:44 AM
I buy into the idea of the hybrid approach and the new Formula at an intellectual level - but darn those engines sound more like WRC than screaming F1... :p

mild rant over ;)

JimboCO
03-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Sounded terrible.

Honny
03-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Yes they sound terrible and I hate the fact that the race is all focused on fuel saving. But I do like the idea of less downforce and you could see the drivers "wrestling" the cars - somewhat reminds me of the 80's...

Interesting season for sure.

drunken monkey
03-17-2014, 12:38 PM
I buy into the idea of the hybrid approach and the new Formula at an intellectual level - but darn those engines sound more like WRC than screaming F1.

...and I also recall that there were complaints about how WRC cars didn't sound good.

jano11
03-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Was quite a boring race, from all points of view, inclusive sound.

MPWR
03-17-2014, 08:06 PM
They weren't as bad as I'd feared.

It was fun to see that drivers had their hands full with the cars, looking not nearly as comfortable as usual in previous years. Passing looked more possible. I feel better about this season than many others in the past decade.

kopek
03-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Mostly quiet, weren't they. Which has the ugliest nose, some were worse than last years screwdriver noses.
As for developing road technology on the track, they probably spend more designing those front wings than the whole of a road car!

Did seem to be more overtaking and, generally, a good to watch race.

Shame for Ricciardo but if they don't clamp down on rule stretching now it will never end.

Copytech99
07-09-2014, 11:31 AM
I really love the growls that you can get from the onboard shots.

And, the infrared shots of the exhaust they had were great !!!

FedericoMo
10-24-2014, 07:03 AM
Yes they sound terrible and I hate the fact that the race is all focused on fuel saving. But I do like the idea of less downforce and you could see the drivers "wrestling" the cars - somewhat reminds me of the 80's...

Totally agree. I don't like the sound and this fuel-saving thing really irritates me...

Copytech99
10-24-2014, 07:14 AM
It's the 1st year, there is the tech freeze in effect and bernies whoville noise makers did not happen. And teams are running them no where near the rev limit.

600+HP and incredible torque.

I listen to the races with headphones and there are some awesome sounds from the in car shots ( I LOVE that low growl) and outside shots hearing the turbos winding down.

Any body catch Lewis's white hot brake rotor shot ?? Incredible stuff boys.

tommypress
09-19-2016, 07:06 AM
I hope this thread comes back to life.

Copytech99
09-19-2016, 07:20 AM
Not sure what will happen after the purchase...... sad to hear Bernie will still have his hand in the till though.

Nothing like the sound of an F1 race..... regardless of engine used.

Add your comment to this topic!