Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant Leak

SulkierLizard
03-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Hey guys,

It seems that my 2000 3.1L is leaking coolant. I have checked the hoses and did not find anything. I did notice a spot that was leaking coolant, but I could not see exactly where it was coming from. Here is a picture I found on the Internet that actually labeled it as a common place for the engine to leak. One comment said it might be timing chain gaskets? Anyway, it seems be in the dark area where a lot of crud has built up. I'm praying it isn't a head gasket.

http://1-ps.googleusercontent.com/h/www.greatautohelp.com/sitebuilder/images/550x410xPICT0336-550x410.jpg.pagespeed.ic.m5OGHjLvWf.webp

gmtech1
03-16-2014, 08:42 PM
If coolant is pooling up in the dark area, near the cam sensor, it's usually from the lower intake manifold gasket. Pretty common on the 3.1.

rkvons
03-17-2014, 12:46 PM
It could also be your front cover. You need to find out where it's coming from. You can use a coolant pressure tester. Go to youtube and search for: Chevy 3.1 Front Cover Gasket Part 1

Tech II
03-17-2014, 01:18 PM
If a 3.1 is going to leak, it's usually the lower intake gaskets, the water pump, radiator, head gaskets, heater core, hoses(heater core or radiator), bad radiator cap, reservoir cracked, etc.

Rkvons, I must admit, I have never seen the front cover leak......not that it can't, I suppose, but it would definitely be the last place I would be looking.....

As Gmtech1 said, the lower intake is the most obvious....it usually will "pool" in the depressions on top of the engine under the throttle body, and at the opposite side, puddle under the P/S pump, then dripping down the front or rear passenger side of the motor.....

rkvons
03-18-2014, 12:53 PM
If a 3.1 is going to leak, it's usually the lower intake gaskets, the water pump, radiator, head gaskets, heater core, hoses(heater core or radiator), bad radiator cap, reservoir cracked, etc.

Rkvons, I must admit, I have never seen the front cover leak......not that it can't, I suppose, but it would definitely be the last place I would be looking.....

As Gmtech1 said, the lower intake is the most obvious....it usually will "pool" in the depressions on top of the engine under the throttle body, and at the opposite side, puddle under the P/S pump, then dripping down the front or rear passenger side of the motor.....
Oh I agree. He has to find the leak before proceeding. I do have a 1998 Monte Carlo with 193K miles and it had a leak out the front cover gasket, so I know it can happen. I am not as experienced as you are. I always think of intake leaks manifesting themselves with coolant in the crank case. This is probably a mindset I need to rectify.

Tech II
03-18-2014, 04:37 PM
I didn't say it COULDN'T leak from there, it's just my experience, that that would be one of the last places I would look.....

rkvons
03-19-2014, 12:16 PM
I didn't say it COULDN'T leak from there, it's just my experience, that that would be one of the last places I would look.....
I know....

Add your comment to this topic!