Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Do you belong to a model club ?

Pages : [1] 2

primera man
06-25-2003, 04:24 AM
How many of you belong to your local model club in town ?

The one here in my town has gone "belly-up" due to lack of numbers :frown:

mike united
06-25-2003, 04:41 AM
Er...........no, there is'nt one, not for what WE do anyway.

I live in a town with a rough population of 120 000 people and i would honestly say that i think im the only person here who is a "serious" car modeller.............i mean only Tamiya, ordering from HLJ, the primer, the putty, the wax, the compound, the rattle cans etc etc, and then all the work put into it.
But .................I LOVE IT !!!

:iceslolan :iceslolan :iceslolan :iceslolan :iceslolan :iceslolan

tazdev
06-25-2003, 04:45 AM
no.
I didn't evn know that they existed

:bloated:

Marco_Wrc
06-25-2003, 04:47 AM
It's nice you added the option "A.F is my model club !!", because that's what it is. :)

mike united
06-25-2003, 04:49 AM
I'll go along with that...........

deedlit
06-25-2003, 05:06 AM
Yes :biggrin:

I'm president of
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/127073xavhuy-logodmc.jpg

Club created in 1996, actually 20 members:

9 doing cars, trucks and bikes
3 doing military
8 doing figures

Veyron
06-25-2003, 05:28 AM
Yes, it is Chattanooga Auto Replicas in Scale(CARS). We average 18 to 25 in attendance at our monthly meetings. I'm also a remote member of ZoomZoom's club, Atlanta Car Model Enthusiast(ACME). :smile:

Martbee
06-25-2003, 06:00 AM
AF is my model club too. I feel like Mike... I'm the only serious car modeller in this town.

Hiroboy
06-25-2003, 06:09 AM
I must agree 100% AF is my Model Club, always open (well almost)
24/7

Judging by the locals shops and what they carry and what get sold, I must be the only Car Modeller in Gloscestershire. Unless they like me import the bulk of their kits.

lumpulus
06-25-2003, 06:26 AM
Yup

Bay Colony Historical Modelers of Massachusetts.

http://home.attbi.com/~treadhead/

Workshops every Tuesday night. Meet every month at a different club members house(I hosted May)

Dublinguy
06-25-2003, 06:32 AM
Well if you guys thing its bad to be the only car modeler in your area/town/city.....pity pure me I think I am the only one in the whole country :crying: ah well just means more cars from me from the local hobby shop.....

Ciaran

Das-AchtMeisther
06-25-2003, 06:42 AM
i have my own club
http://www.belgian-modeltuners.tk

primera man
06-25-2003, 06:43 AM
It quite interesting reading what you have all said so far.
It does amaze me that our model club almost "looked down there nose's" at car builders.....i have no idea why:frown:
I also feel i'm about the only car builder here also
Seems funny, because we seem to have one of the most popular car model forums on the net with so many people here, but we seem to all find it hard to attract members to our local clubs.:mad: :mad:

mike united
06-25-2003, 07:06 AM
Hmmm........good thread this
Just gonna swing things around a little here but however much i love this "lifetime" hobby of mine/ours im sometimes a bit reluctent about telling everyone about it, i mean not many know really about my hobby.
I think the reason i dont tell people is beacause most usually say something like......oh yes, i used to build models when i was a kid !!!???!!!........and similar types of comments. Cheeky Bas****s !!!
Anyway, like i said.........I LOVE MY HOBBY.

Mike.

:iceslolan

phase5
06-25-2003, 07:08 AM
I'm in one club which has dropped in members. I have looked at anougher club 80k's away but mainly military. so have started a club at our local hobby store.
but to me AF is my club and the best forum around.

primera man
06-25-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by mike united
Just gonna swing things around a little here but however much i love this "lifetime" hobby of mine/ours im sometimes a bit reluctent about telling everyone about it, i mean not many know really about my hobby.
I think the reason i dont tell people is beacause most usually say something like......oh yes, i used to build models when i was a kid !!!???!!!........and similar types of comments. Cheeky Bas****s !!!

Mike.

True...i get the same here. I dont know why people have the idea that this is some kind of "kids" hobby.
Most people that make these comments have no idea what goes on.
I have lost count the amount of people that have visited my house and say "Nice die-cast or did you have to make them".
I then show them a unbuild box and most of them are blown away that a pile of plastic turns into a model.
Also, must people i know that bad mouth off about the hobby have tried it and sucked at it.

rhmatt
06-25-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by primera man
It does amaze me that our model club almost "looked down there nose's" at car builders.....i have no idea why:frown:

Not only that, but my local "hobby" shop is nearly all R/C cars and planes...then trainsets. They've had the SAME supply of "plastic crap" as they call it for the past three years and it's mostly military.

Anytime I ask about getting something different in they tell me they can order it. But, their prices are about 15% over suggested retail pricing. :mad: No Tamiya paints there either...unless I order it and once again I can get it much cheaper online, they ask $3.60 for 23ml!! They seem annoyed everytime I walk in. So the web is my hobby shop and AF is my club!

Good thread you started here!

-Rick

daggerlee
06-25-2003, 07:38 AM
I'd have to say AF is my model club. :bigthumb:

I found this, though:

http://www.pacms.org/

It's a club for Philly car modelers, I'm considering checking out one of their meetings just to see what's up but it seems they build mostly domestics. I'm not even sure if they're still operating, their webpage hasn't been updated since 2001..

phase5
06-25-2003, 08:10 AM
Most modellers around are military and most shops allways cater for them.i'm lucky as i run a hobby section in a toyworld store and for once it's automotive thats becoming popular( thanks to F&F and gone in 60 second) more younger people are getting back into cars. And i encourage the model cars by displaying mine and other peoples kits which really pulls them into it when they see them.And i also recomend this forum to everyone.

Dublinguy
06-25-2003, 08:28 AM

Mike.

Mike and Pman,

To hell with what people think at least you are using your spare time constructively and not sitting around on your fat arses (not that either of you have one that is!!!) watching TV. I remeber telling a guy in work I raced rc cars and he thought this was hilarious and the most childish thing to do. I told him more about it, showed him some pics of my car and then all of a sudden "Whooo thats cool, how do I get involved? How much does it cost?..." and all that.

Like I said to hell with what people think along as you enjoy it and your not harming anyone thats all that matters. Although the only person you might be harming is your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/lover (tick which is appropriate) as they may never see you. And sure at the end of the day we got each other. :lol:

Ciaran

freakray
06-25-2003, 08:30 AM
I can honestly tell you I am one of only 2 serious car modellers in State College, PA.
I have been on contact with the other about meeting, but he isn't too interested and he builds Nascar models.

My hobby shop caters extremely well to my needs and gets me whatever I ask, but they admit there are more armor modellers around than anything.

AF and BMC are where I hang out to get my hobby social input....

theoldboy
06-25-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by phase5
Most modellers around are military and most shops allways cater for them.i'm lucky as i run a hobby section in a toyworld store and for once it's automotive thats becoming popular( thanks to F&F and gone in 60 second) more younger people are getting back into cars. And i encourage the model cars by displaying mine and other peoples kits which really pulls them into it when they see them.And i also recomend this forum to everyone.

you sound so sincere dwayne .i didnt realise that you were such a nice person go the blues

theoldboy
06-25-2003, 08:54 AM
i belong to the same club as phase5 ,i dont go very often though
its good having a friend that also makes car kits you can talk about shit for hours and not get locked away

:gives: about what other people think its a lot cheaper than therapy

this site is great

fullbloodchop01
06-25-2003, 09:05 AM
not many people around myy area build models, so i have no idea if there is a club, but if there was, i probably wouldnt join. AF is all i need, and like mentioned above, AF is ALWAY there for you 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
:biggrin:

deedlit
06-25-2003, 09:12 AM
What everybody has written is very interesting, it appears to be the same here in Belgium.

Most of people are thinking that modeling is for children, they don't even think about the amount of time and effort we can put in our models. Even when you show it and explain it , they don't understand and are looking at you like:rolleyes: :bloated: ...

Like everybody else I don't give a f...ck to them, I'm very proud and happy of my models. I DO know the amount of work and research I've done.

When I met my wife, I didn't told her that I did modeling. I thought " what will she think of me ??? " , I was a bit shamed of my hobby (now she understand and collaborate). But when you get a medal or some price with your work, you're no more shamed. You see then that your work can be appreciated by others.

I'm lucky because all my friends, even my BEST friend ever, are modelers. And they are all from my club. It's easy for discussions, you always know what to talk about :biggrin:

Good to have one philosophic thread to read :smile: , I'm happy for the rest of the day :biggrin:

bigfrit
06-25-2003, 09:21 AM
I personally don't have the time for going to a club.
I know they exist, but... what do you do then in such a club?
Model cars, altogether? talk about techniques, ? ask questions? get feedback?

In that case , I don't see much difference between AF and such a club, or what is there that is not AF ? presence? contact?

I ve got no idea what is done at a club?
What should I copare it with?
A café ? An evening a week playing cards? A friends meeting?

??? :confused:
Olivier

sugarcaddy
06-25-2003, 09:29 AM
Well there are 2 clubs in my area, one being the local chapter of the IPMS (International Plastic Modelers Sociaty) and the other is a shoot off of the IPMS which deals only in cars. Both clubs are over 50 miles away from me so I dont get to go. :mad:
I would consider AF my online club for sure. I spend at least an hour every day pouring over the threads. I have learned more about car modeling here in the past 6 months than any other time spend building on my own. :biggrin:

Scott

DSM-Mark
06-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Ooops, clicked "No" before I saw "AF is my model club". Need coffee.

Camber
06-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Im president of a club I call "My own"... We meet at my house daily.

bah humbug
06-25-2003, 10:19 AM
My vote= Af. :smile:

CADguy
06-25-2003, 11:11 AM
I hear that there is a good club here in Atlanta.

But..

I don't have enough time to build models.

Let alone go to a meeting to talk about building models.

:lol:

mike united
06-25-2003, 11:27 AM
THIS is my hobby club even though very few of us will ever meet......................

Got a sneaky feeling that this thread you got going Warren is going to be huge !!!

Later, Mike.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

blueboost
06-25-2003, 01:09 PM
this is definately my club. I enjoy coming here daily.
I have learned a ton, enjoy looking at your models very much
have met new ppl from around the world, got some parts from chris,
this place has upped my game 10 fold. I also enjoy the fact that
most of us are all into the same type of modeling (cars) here
and I don't have to look at tanks and ships. not that there is anything
wrong with that, but its not my thing. I voted of course that AF is my club.

And I agree that I can be a bit quiet about the modeling thing especially with
the girls that I meet. but thats cause I don't want them to think thats "all" i'm
into and that it's cause I don't have a life and I sit around modeling and pining away
for a attention. I choose to model because I love cars
just that much, but cannot afford a collection like my 1/24th in 1/1. So at least I have
something to look at and it motivates me to better myself and work for the 1/1 versions even more

fc3sjeff
06-25-2003, 02:46 PM
My answer would have to be "both". I am a member of the local club, which has helped my models improve immensely, and the social interaction is great. However, while the guys in the club are knowledgable about techniques, when it comes to the actual vehicles, because they are all at least in their 40's, they don't really share my love of late model vehicles, which is what makes AF such a neat place!

Jeff

Jay!
06-25-2003, 02:52 PM
AF is my club. :) I've been meaning to find clubs in my area; I know they're around... but the bang for the buck I get from AF can't be beat!! ;)

mike united
06-25-2003, 03:06 PM
I agree with you there "Blueboost" that we do this beacause we love cars, but also the cars we build are maybe a compensation for something we.................or at least i could never afford.
Anyway, im more than happy with my Audi A4 1.8 Turbo and more than happy with building Tamiya cars..............................
GOD...what have you guys done to me ?!? Im totally addicted to AMF !!!

Later, Mike.

:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

Jay!
06-25-2003, 03:10 PM
GOD...what have you guys done to me ?!? Im totally addicted to AMF !!!
AMF? :confused:

blueboost
06-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
AMF? :confused:

kinda like ALF but different
:silly:

cph81
06-25-2003, 03:22 PM
No club for me. AF is not my club. I just hang around here. :biggrin:

AMF?

AMF bowling??:tongue:

Y the alphabet mem
06-25-2003, 04:09 PM
ummmm AutoMotive Forums??

sugarcaddy
06-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Yeah I sick of hearing about 50's roadsters or cars from the 50's. It seems the only cars that win in the local contests under custom job is the 50's crusers. I have seen plenty of excellent custom jobs on tuners that blow anything a 50's cruser would have and it still doesnt win! The old guys judging these contests are just looking at the cars they know instead of the over all quility of the work and the work that went into the car.
I like AF because you guys and gals out there share the same intrests as mine when it comes to cars! :bigthumb:

Scott

primera man
06-25-2003, 04:23 PM
WOW....Got some good answer's going here.
Reading through them all the main thing IMO seems to be that most of us dont seem to want to tell people about our hobby due to worrying about what others think.
But like we have said....to hell with what others think. This is what we like and enjoy doing so why do other people care to judge without even nothing about the hobby?

With the club i used to go to the biggest thing i could not get my head around was the crap that used to go on.
As i said before, us car builders were frowned on as being some kind of "Wanna-be's".
There were a few who really new there stuff when it came to painting but would not share with others incase they told them to much info and got beaten by them in a contest.
I was forever asking one of the top painters in the club for advice. In the end i was told to piss-off untill after the club champs so he could win.
When i won our club champs with my Chevelle i thought i was going to be beaten up by the non-car builders, let alone the person i had been asking for help from !!
They failed to see past there own litle world that modelling is a hobby for all kind of subjects, not just planes etc.
Shortly after that i left :thefinger
It is sad to see that this goes on :frown:

z33guy
06-25-2003, 04:35 PM
im the only modeler that i know personally other than my gf that takes it up because i do it:frown:

sugarcaddy
06-25-2003, 05:15 PM
WOW....Got some good answer's going here.
Reading through them all the main thing IMO seems to be that most of us dont seem to want to tell people about our hobby due to worrying about what others think.
But like we have said....to hell with what others think. This is what we like and enjoy doing so why do other people care to judge without even nothing about the hobby?

With the club i used to go to the biggest thing i could not get my head around was the crap that used to go on.
As i said before, us car builders were frowned on as being some kind of "Wanna-be's".
There were a few who really new there stuff when it came to painting but would not share with others incase they told them to much info and got beaten by them in a contest.
I was forever asking one of the top painters in the club for advice. In the end i was told to piss-off untill after the club champs so he could win.
When i won our club champs with my Chevelle i thought i was going to be beaten up by the non-car builders, let alone the person i had been asking for help from !!
They failed to see past there own litle world that modelling is a hobby for all kind of subjects, not just planes etc.
Shortly after that i left :thefinger
It is sad to see that this goes on :frown:

WOW Thats almost the same feeling I get from our local IPMS chapter. These guys are totally into aircraft and armor-anything else is a childs toy. Makes me sad :confused:
But on the other hand I have a few friends that are into armor and they just cant believe I do cars because they think cars are way harder to do than a tank. They say the gloss finishes on cars are to hard to make, well I say that armor is much harder to do because of the camo paint and weathering they have to do on the armor :wtf:

Scott

speedthrill
06-25-2003, 05:17 PM
Yeah guys, we feel ourselfs sometimes so alone with this hobby. But then you could say: there's is always the A.F. And again your hart will pump a transmission higher.

When my friends are laughing with my hobby(doesn't happen much but it does).
I laugh back with the words "that I love making cars and at least i'm learning something and at the sametime I get a nice superb kicking feeling when its finished, and I don't spill my money buying weed and getting stoned for an hour and then losing the feeling again , and then putting another one on.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :bloated: ."
And at the end of the day they cant remember much of what we done together because they're so f****d up.
Well, you get my point. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

But hey , not all my friends are like that and i must admit that i've walked that path too for about four years. But then i saw the glittering sun back in the shape of a beautifull girl and of course , you guys.
:biggrin2: :bigthumb: :smokin: :tongue:

Craig C
06-25-2003, 05:51 PM
Hi all,

We have a small club, which meets in Murwillumbah (Northern NSW - Australia) monthly. We travel around to model / hobby shows and put on displays and enter competitions.

The club has no formal structure (no Presidents etc), everybody contributes as much as they are willing and able to, given family, sport and job committments etc. Being informal keeps the politics out and the enjoyment of the hobby as the focus. Everybody gets on and we have a good time when we have to travel away.

We have a good balance between Aircraft, Armour and Car modellers. If anything we probably need more Aircraft and Armour modellers, we are a little dominated by car modellers at the moment. But this balance usually changes over time as people move, loose interest or new members join. It is interesting to look back through photos of the model / hobby shows we have attended over the last few years and see the improvement in our members models since joining the club.

Amongst the car modellers we have somebody who builds kits from just about all eras and types. We have stock, vintage, hot rods, drag cars, muscle cars, tuners, modifieds and just about every form of racer. Some of our members (Stump & Brad) have posted models on this forum and you may have seen some of our models when the Grafton Model show pics were posted.

I would recommend to anybody keen on modelling to join a club. In saying that look for a club that is informal and has members who share similar interest to your own. Steer clear of clubs wound up in politics and "rivet counters". Its about the enjoyment of the hobby and each others company........ not anything else ! The rewards come when you have your models on display at model / hobby show for everybody to admire, especially young kids.

This forum is a great alternative to a model club, but I recommend you try both.

Cheers
Craig

primera man
06-25-2003, 06:03 PM
CHECK THIS OUT !! (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112976)
Who said that modelling was dead :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

fullbloodchop01
06-25-2003, 06:18 PM
AutoMotive Forums is usually called AF
:wink:

ZoomZoomMX-5
06-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by CADguy
I hear that there is a good club here in Atlanta.

But..

I don't have enough time to build models.

Let alone go to a meeting to talk about building models.

:lol:
Yes, we do have a great club ACME in Atlanta. Good group, and our show is awesome. Heck, I don't get enough time to build either, and I skipped our last meeting because I was getting some quality building time in, instead of sitting around talking not to mention the hour drive round trip. But if you're ever interested, first Sunday of the month at Smyrna Community Center in the arts and crafts room. Next meeting is the weekend of July 4th, 3:30pm. We get anywhere from 10-30 people at a meeting.

There are many IPMS groups in town as well, ours is actually IPMS as well, but ACME is for the car guys. There are probably 3 or 4 other IPMS chapters in Atlanta.

ljrlude01
06-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Af is my club :biggrin:

tonioseven
06-25-2003, 06:57 PM
I was a part of a club but I stopped going because of the closed-mindedness towards Tuners:mad: I like all types of cars but I once heard a comment "Here he comes with that Jap-crap again!" so that was it for me. Everybody that knows me knows about my hobby. I'm not ashamed to tell people that my work is seen all over the world!:sunglasse :sunglasse I consider AF to be my club. I couldn't care less what people think about what I do. I'll build until I can't!! :sunglasse :sunglasse

ZoomZoomMX-5
06-25-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by tonioseven
I was a part of a club but I stopped going because of the closed-mindedness towards Tuners:mad: I like all types of cars but I once heard a comment "Here he comes with that Jap-crap again!" so that was it for me. Everybody that knows me knows about my hobby. I'm not ashamed to tell people that my work is seen all over the world!:sunglasse :sunglasse I consider AF to be my club. I couldn't care less what people think about what I do. I'll build until I can't!! :sunglasse :sunglasse

Man, that sucks. I hate to say it but it seems to be a "northern" thing, because we simply don't have that kind of attitude down here! (I never looked back after moving south from New England). I was at a club meeting in Dayton Ohio last year the Friday night before the Toledo NNL, and there was a kid looking at the Ferraris that I had built and my friend had built. The kid was so excited looking at those cars when his dad came over and pulled him away, saying "I can't stand foreign cars". Wouldn't even let his son look at them. Yeah, Mr. Mullethead is teaching his kid the manners alright. :angryfire :disappoin :banghead:

bah humbug
06-25-2003, 07:45 PM
What a :loser:

I like all kinds of cars.

I just don't like some cars drowned in decals.

JDM Wagon
06-25-2003, 08:20 PM
i have to agree with everyone that i am realy glad i found this forum. you are all my insipration thats for sure. anyhow i get the samething when it comes to any of my hobbies. i am a big automotive enthusiast and love any car that has some type of mods.

everytime someone sees or hears that i build model car, race rc cars, and believe it or not mountain bike they kinda give you that look like, growup. i then show them my work be it my rc cars, model cars i am building or my mtb and they think twice. i have been pushing some people here at work to try modeling. i even gave a couple people new models that i had gotten in a grab bag. maybe something will come of them.

anyhow, i haven't been on this forum very long, so i want to thank all of ya all for the tips and tid bits you provide. :bigthumb:

fullbloodchop01
06-25-2003, 08:31 PM
...Reading through them all the main thing IMO seems to be that most of us dont seem to want to tell people about our hobby due to worrying about what others think...
:shakehead :shakehead very sad, but very true :shakehead :shakehead

mech0t0
06-25-2003, 08:51 PM
I am very happy to be part of the AF club:icesangel :ylsuper: :boink:

fullbloodchop01
06-25-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by mech0t0
I am very happy to be part of the AF club:icesangel :ylsuper: :boink: as should everyone :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper: :ylsuper:

Honoturtle
06-25-2003, 09:05 PM
I'm part of several clubs:
Automotiveforums Car Modeling Forum and,
Automotiveforums sub-forum Complete and In-Progress!

primera man
06-25-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by ZoomZoomMX-5

The kid was so excited looking at those cars when his dad came over and pulled him away, saying "I can't stand foreign cars". Wouldn't even let his son look at them. Yeah, Mr. Mullethead is teaching his kid the manners alright. :angryfire :disappoin :banghead:
That has to head the nail on the head with most cases.
I dont think i could have bit my lip and said nothing to the loser :mad:

tonioseven
06-25-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by ZoomZoomMX-5

Man, that sucks. I hate to say it but it seems to be a "northern" thing, because we simply don't have that kind of attitude down here! (I never looked back after moving south from New England). I was at a club meeting in Dayton Ohio last year the Friday night before the Toledo NNL, and there was a kid looking at the Ferraris that I had built and my friend had built. The kid was so excited looking at those cars when his dad came over and pulled him away, saying "I can't stand foreign cars". Wouldn't even let his son look at them. Yeah, Mr. Mullethead is teaching his kid the manners alright. :angryfire :disappoin :banghead: I'm embarrassed because I was born and raised in Dayton!:frown: Cincinnati's not much better in their way of thinking; I love to tell people about my hobby because for the most part, they sometimes don't believe that what they are looking at is something I built! :smile: Iwould rather put my time and efforts into AF where I know they are appreciated than somewhere where they're not. Pleas don't let my experiences deter you from at least visiting a model club because you just may like it!:cool: Happy modelling!!!:iceslolan

Add your comment to this topic!