Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

what to do to a stock 89 integra ls ?

LancasterWannaBe
06-24-2003, 10:39 PM
What could I do to my 89 acura integra ls for more power and a higher redline.
I'm going to try and get a used t-25 turbo from a friend in the near future, but what can I start on now?
The car is all stock, and it's my get around car, I'd mostly like some more passing power, but it's always fun to go down to the track for a night.
If I could pass the 200 hp level, I'd be completely satisfied... for now.

Thanks for any advice or criticism in advance.

Oh yeah, I know someone that was talking about changing a non-vtec type motor to a vtec type. Is that for real or just BS ?

Thanks again

PWMAN
06-25-2003, 08:26 PM
Turbo is not the way to go on your car, there is little to no aftermarket for the D16A1 thats in your car also. I suggest an engine swap. Yes you can do a VTEC into yours, but it costs a lot more.
I suggest an engine swap to a B18A1 from a 90-91 teg. You don't have to mess with VTEC wiring, and there is a ton of aftermarket goodies for it. It's also a cable clutch, so theres no need for a hydro conversion. This is also a good engine to turbo, you can do 12 PSI on stock internals, that makes close to 300 HP with the right tuning and other upgrades. Don't get a 92-93 B18A1, cuz they are OBD 1, and trust me you don't want to get into that.
Don't by the turbo, its a waste of your money plus theres ALOT more to a turbo kit than just the turbo itself. The turbo is NOT the most expensive part. You can modify a Greddy turbo kit to fit your car though, there is a web site about this.
http://www.motionless.net/articles/zcturbo1.html
Even though it says 87-88 integra, don't mind that the 89 is the same. So is the 86 for that matter. 86-87 had 9.3:1 compression, 88-89 had 9.5:1 and 5 more HP.

LancasterWannaBe
06-25-2003, 08:41 PM
Thanks a LOT PWMAN.
What would a B18A1 from a 91 teg run me ?
Thanks again, you da man!

PWMAN
06-26-2003, 04:41 PM
Well, I don't know of any sites online where you can get them. I've seen one once but now I forget, so theres some out there just do a search. I think but not sure it was 1700 for a complete swap. Other than that, some salvage yards have them. You need the whole swap, like engine, tranny, ecu, axles, mounts, etc. I'm not sure if the axles or mounts will work, actually I'm just not sure about the axles I know the mounts won't work. You can get a mount kit from www.hasport.com and you'll have to search for axles. I know http://store.hybridgarage.com/store/hgrstore.pl has a lot of stuff you need. They have axles for that swap, 200 bucks and you use your stock CV joints. They also have mounts kits made by hasport.

Add your comment to this topic!