Page updated on 11-20-2017

Q? regarding fluoro paints

Seamus McRae
03-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Hi all

I have managed to get my hands on the fluoro paint range from Mr Color (finally). I was curious to know a couple of things:

*are these paints more suitable for brush or spay painting? If they have to be airbrushed, are they ready to go or do they need to be thinned further & if so, with what?
*does a base need to be put down to maximise the fluoro effect, kind of like spraying gloss black before Alclad paints?

TIA guys
Shaun

MPWR
03-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Better to airbrush it than brush paint it. Much better.

Always thin with whatever the manufacturer recommends. In this case, Mr Color Thinner. Personally, I wouldn't even consider trying to spray it straight without thinning. I use a lot of thinner when spraying lacquers- it tends to behave best this way.

It is best sprayed on a flat white primer. The very best in this case would probably be Mr Surfacer white. Which also gets thinned with Mr Color Thinner.

stevenoble
03-04-2014, 10:09 AM
I can agree with MPWR 100%. Airbrush is the way to go. Best sprayed over a matt white primer or a matt white base coat paint, such as Zero Pure White. Thin them either 1:1 or 1:2 with Mr Color leveling thinner, although bear in mind that if you go 1:2 it will take more coats for even coverage. They dry with a satin finish so will need clear coating for a top shine, but they are very easy to use, you'll have no problems with them at all, they spray beautifully..

Add your comment to this topic!