Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

valve adjustment, info?

accordztech
06-24-2003, 01:09 AM
today i started hearing more ticking from my valves, this time at idle, and not at 2k rpm like usual. i think since my car has 153k it needs it. the last time it was done was, well never i think.

what process do i go through to do it, can i do it myself? is there any damage if i do it wrong?

thanks fellas.

HONDA_99
06-24-2003, 11:18 AM
buy Haynes repair manual to find how to adjust valves, it'll give enough info on how to do it. worst that can happen is bent valves and some damage to pistons if you screw up durring adjustment.

tenguzero
06-24-2003, 01:03 PM
You aren't burning/loosing oil, right? Oftentimes, clicking noises coming from the valves can be a sign that they aren't getting enough oil (bad sending unit, etc.)

accordztech
06-24-2003, 08:18 PM
im not burning at all...i knwo about my valves not getting enough oil...in the mornings when the oil is cold, the oil filter doesnt flow as well as when the oil is warmed up. mine is a 1991 accord.

explain this
http://d0rk.wronger.com/valve_adjust.html

bx10466
06-24-2003, 08:58 PM
I just had mine done, it set me back about 30 cash. Not too bad, I have the haynes book but it didn't seem like something I wanted to try...

98sentraGTiR
07-16-2004, 01:27 PM
my 91 accord is having the same problem but mines from replacing the timing belt and the alignment marks not being aligned properly which opens the valves to late or early so if u have the time i'd jack the car up, take off your front driver sidewheel, and the plastic shroud protecting all your timing clogs (balance shaft,water pump, ect.) and look for all the arrows,chisels, and white dots and see if they are aligned hopet his helps

98sentraGTiR
07-16-2004, 01:28 PM
if thats confusing basically u jsut need everything top dead center

SenseiAccord
07-16-2004, 07:22 PM
how do u move the crank to TDC during this adjustment procedure? U cant set it exactly by cranking the engine by key. Haynes says to move the #1 cyl. to TDC but i dont kno how to do that.

BullShifter
07-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Adjust each set with it's piston at Top Dead Center. That means you need to turn the engine over (by Hand) 4 times. Either put a wrench on the power steering pulley nut or turn the crankshaft bolt. Valve adjustment are pretty simple with the correct tools & a Honda manual www.heminc.com by your side for your first few times. You can tell a cylinder is at TDC by watching timing marks on cam gear/flywheel/crank pulley, distributor rotor will be pointing to that spark plug wire on the cap, visually looking at the valve gives a good indication when your about to hit TDC. Adjust with engine cold.
Again www.helminc.com for a Honda repair manual, step by step with pictures. The best investment you can make if you plan on doing your own work.

SenseiAccord
07-18-2004, 12:22 AM
u sure the power steering pulley nut? I kno u can move it by the crank but my ratchet or break bar cant fit down there with the socket on it.

BullShifter
07-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Yes you can turn by p/s, we did that at Honda.
Put a long extension on the socket, reach through hole in wheel well for crank bolt.

SenseiAccord
07-19-2004, 12:01 AM
interesting... thanx!

Add your comment to this topic!