1999 Rodeo V6 MT 3.2L Rear antifreeze leak

dingobait
02-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Started smelling antifreeze. Losing it towards the back of the engine, leaking onto the exhaust. Too hot to get underneath at the moment.

Heater core? Freeze plug? Head gasket? Other hose at the back of the engine?

It's nothing at the front. Not the radiator or either hose like I hoped it would be.

It's running fine. No noticeable compression loss. 273K miles.

Will check water level when cooled a bit. Overflow still has antifreeze in it.

All input welcomed.

amigo-2k
02-21-2014, 10:57 PM
see if the valley under the intake manifold is full of antifreeze (shine a flash light). There are a couple of anti-freeze tubes under it that like to leak (with +200k).

There are typically a couple of o-rings that need to be replaced:

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63746&p=555560&hilit=freeze#p555560

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=37679&highlight=

dingobait
02-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the input Amigo-2k.

Couldn't see anything in those areas you mentioned.

Poured a half gallon of antifreeze in and attempted to make it home (25 mi).

Engine temp was normal til I hit heavy stop and go traffic. As soon as I saw the temp start to rise (12.5 mi), I pulled over right away.

Called AAA and got it the rest of the way home. It had cooled by the time they arrived and I had filled the radiator again which took close to another 1/2 gallon.

Since the remaining half of the journey home was heavy stop and go traffic the whole way, I stuck with having it towed (glad I have the premier level AAA) so as to not risk doing damage.

Had local mechanic put it up on the lift and it appears that it's a freeze plug between the trans and the block. Work will commence in the morning.

I'll post again once I know more. Sure glad it wasn't a head-gasket.

Mark
HB, Ca.

dingobait
02-22-2014, 12:28 PM
I haven't been able to locate any information in the official Isuzu Shop Manual concerning freeze plugs. Anyone know what Isuzu calls them?

I want to find them all.

Add your comment to this topic!