Page updated on 11-19-2017

What's your favorite Category of cars?

MPWR
02-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Just for fun-

What (single) category of cars are you most into? Is it the same as what you most like to build? What car best embodies your favorite category of car? What kind of driving experience do you/would you most enjoy?

For me, I like small, lightweight, well powered, excellent handling sports cars. I don't care for luxury, exclusivity, or top speed. I build the same as I like, but there aren't really many kits (or these days, many cars!) in this group. An Ariel Atom would be an extreme example, but I think a Lotus Elise or a Caterham Zetec are the best examples for me. I would rather drive a Caterham on a twisty road/track than a Ferrari on a highway or a Lamborghini through the streets of Monte Carlo.

So, what are you most into?

mattbacon
02-20-2014, 05:51 PM
I would say classic European sports/GT cars, and yes, that's the category that I most like to build. I like modern sports cars as well -- if someone handed me a 458 Speciale or F-Type coupe on a plate, then I wouldn't turn it down, obviously. But in terms of the car that best embodies the category, for me it would have to be a series "1 1/2" E-Type Jaguar, ideally lightly "fine-tuned" by Eagle. An Aston DB4GT would do at a pinch (;-)), as would a Maserati 3500 GT (and, strangely enough, I have built models of all of these on my shelf). As for something I might one day actually afford, my sights are set on a Series II Triumph GT6...

Driving-wise, any reasonably nippy car along the sweeping, twisting, interesting roads of the local Dales, Lakes and Moors...

bestest,
M.

Hemi Killer
02-20-2014, 06:08 PM
In real life, my favorite is a raw V8. Nothing to me beats the sound of a nasty V8 with long headers.

For models, it's mostly rear engine race cars, because of the detail. I have no motivation to build curbside, or low engine detail kits.

My absolute favorite car of all time is the F40/F40 LM. It's just a brutal turbo berserker with no BS. While I appreciate the technology that's been developed nowadays, I always prefer a raw car that makes you work for it.

Some_Kid
02-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Super Cars:
XJ220, F40, F50, Lamborghini Countach/Murciealago/Diablo, Porsche, Lotus

Sports Cars:
Supra, RX-7, NSX

Muscle Car:
Viper, Plymouth GTX, Hemi Cuda

4x4:
Land Rover(But no kit company will make them for some reason), Montero/Pajero

I would love to some day own a Ferrari but my realistic dream car is a 1997 stock Supra. It is one of the most gorgeous cars made in my opinion. I mainly like cars that are beautiful as you can see. I basically have a set list of kits that I want to make and that would satisfy me personally. I'm not really the type that goes out and buys a lot of kits. I'm very selective with the kits I choose to build, but that's also because of money.

lovegt40
02-20-2014, 08:00 PM
after some time working on Real ones,i definitely like only pure racers.everything street legal is Too far away from the performance of the last of the racers.
p.s. My all time fav ever are Ferrari 330p4,the gt40 and the dino206 sp

lemansnut
02-20-2014, 10:30 PM
For me it would have to be GT Prototypes anything Le Mans in general. That is also the focus of my model collection. I have all but a few of the LM winners from 1949 to 2011, all 1/24 scale. My favorite all time would probably be the Jaguar XJR-14 for a race car, Ferrari 250SWB as a street car.

Mike

BVC500
02-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Luxury and exotics, both in classic and modern form. I ike my cars factory stock, but at the same time I like unusual color combos, so I like it when a manufacturer offers customization with paints, leathers, woods, etc. Examples include the ultra luxury/exotic manufacturers, and Mercedes' Designo, BMW's Individual, Audi's Exclusive and Porsche's special order.

hirofkd
02-21-2014, 03:43 AM
I like the connection between street cars and their racing variations, from old Bentleys and Alfas all the way to 2014 Corvette & C7R, and everything in between.

seanyb505
02-21-2014, 07:10 AM
This is a question I frequently try to answer for myself. As a car guy, people are always asking what's my dream car, favorite car, or if I won the lottery what kind of car would I buy. It's a difficult question for me since I can't see myself passing up any of the cars I like. The range is massively wide. Small and lightweight, muscle cars, anything that can be classified as a sports car, vintage and historic, fast sedans and wagons, gt cars, exotic, hyper, technological innovation, race cars ranging from autocross to Le Mans. How do you explain that without boring a non car person to death? Something that isn't fwd, generally not automatic, focused on driving experience without making enough compromises that it'scross shopped with a camry.

I try to build the same subjects that catch my eye.

Kaj45rpm
02-21-2014, 08:52 AM
My passion is rally cars because they are predominantly competition versions of every day road cars. I tnhink rallying is one of the hardest motorsport disciplines to be quick on all conditions and the driver only drives each corner once, unlike circuit drivers.

klutz_100
02-21-2014, 09:03 AM
English 2-seaters and open wheelers are closest to my heart. 1950s through to the 70s are my favorite period.

Slash.Snakepit
02-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Something that isn't fwd, generally not automatic, focused on driving experience without making enough compromises that it'scross shopped with a camry.

So...a BMW 3 series then lol

form me is exactly the same

ddtham
02-22-2014, 01:43 AM
Old school aircooled 911 for me. No need for abs, traction control, power steering, etc.

Glad to see you are back in action, Andy!

gtziaf
02-22-2014, 03:15 AM
p.s. My all time fav ever are Ferrari 330p4,the gt40 and the dino206 sp

Paolo you are my alter ego :rofl:
My favorite car the little Dino206 sp and the the gorgeous 330P4/412P.
I love to build GT - Prototypes racers and of course Ferrari cars and single seaters :wink:

drunken monkey
02-22-2014, 09:53 AM
I think I would have to say that the type of car doesn't matter as I really do find all cars interesting.
One thing I do know, it is certainly not a "latest and greatest" thing with me.

It is more the completeness of a kit that is the one decision maker in my buying/building. I can forgive inaccuracies, poor engineering and even bad materials (i.e 30+ year old plastics) if the kit in question gives me the opportunity to build it as detailed as possible.
In that respect, I find older cars more interesting because the engines are simpler and it is thus easier to follow how the real car would've been wired and plumbed.

I have as much love for the wonderful Tamiya Fiat 500 as I do their Ferrari Enzo.

I do also have a "theme" thing.
I like complete sets of things so generations of cars interest me.
Celica (mostly ST cars)
GTR
Ferrari mid-V8s (i.e 308-458)
Porsche FR cars (i.e 924-968 - almost there...)
Corvettes

and rivalries
DB4GT/Z vs 250SWB/GT0 vs XKD/E vs SLR

Romik505
02-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Hi guys.
This is an interesting topic and infinitely long.
my main ideal of scale models - cars for the rally.
But I also like some of the cars for racing circuit .. Some supercars: Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo
Love cars 50 - 60 years of America .
It is a pity that there is no physical possibility to put it all in my box for models. Time, time, time ..
Of the real car, I realized that the turbo Impreza - it's my favorite car.
It's really versatile for any season, any weather and road condition.I am 8 years old ride a Subaru.
I was luck to ride a few hours on 360 Modena. Yes - it's cool. But I would not like to have it as a means of transportation on our roads.
What did I would be happy to have - Impreza 22B, Audi Sport Quattro, Delta S4 :smile:

rallymaster
02-23-2014, 05:59 AM
My favorite category of cars is Rally cars, because it's what seems the most spectacular to me since being young I discovered rally through TV with the Group B era and drivers like Mouton or Vatanen, and also having been involved myself in rallying years ago.

As already said by another member it's also the closest racing cars to the all days cars I can drive (I own a Peugeot 208 by now :cool:)

Dakar rally cars and Pikes Peak rallycars based cars are the right next step after rally cars, because I followed in Dakar and PPHC races the brands and some drivers I saw in rally (Vatanen, Kankkunen...)

I also like sports and super cars, for the dream they represent and their performance and technology... and because of the influence of this excellent forum !! :lol:
same for some LM cars even if I only have the Nissan GT1 to build and only have another track racing car to build (Nissan JGTC - one of my favorite car in a famous videogame).
Porsche cars are my favorite ones in sports and super cars theme but I have most of the last years great revell, tamiya or aoshima hits (Mercedes Amg, DBS, Ferrari...)

My models are today divided half 1/43 and half 1/24 but I must say I'm now really interested only in 1/24 and I'm slightly giving up building 1/43 models even if I can't assume selling them back for the moment :loser: and if I will/want to keep Gr.B, Vatanen's and Mouton's cars at that scale.

360spider
02-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Classic European sports cars, supercars, and racers based on these.

willimo
02-23-2014, 08:27 PM
What don't I like? There are too many cars to love. But if I had to pick one subset, it would be Japanese tuner cars (no surprise), particularly Hondas (no surprise), and it's a toss up between the Civic and the Integra with a slight edge to the Civic because I have a 1:1 project (no big surprise).

That said, I enjoy all cars and will build (well, buy a kit and get started on) just about anything that will catch my fancy from Civics to rock crawlers to muscle cars to classics to motorsports to even super cars. But I've probably got the least love for super cars, to me it's easy to make an expensive car go fast. To make an inexpensive car fun is true passion and work.

coolnight
03-03-2014, 06:34 AM
GT/Le Mans race cars
F1 cars, especially Ferrari
Moto GP bikes
Ferrari's and Lambo's

jzx100
03-28-2014, 08:29 PM
What appeals to me are the cars that I have owned or driven. Super/hypercars are nice to look at but what really excites me is having scale models of the car that is parked in my garage. For me it always gonna be jdm FR layout coupes/sedans. :smokin:

ferrarijoe
03-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Might come as a surprise considering my screen name ,but anything Ferrari. I just love Ferrari style, often imitated never duplicated. And classic F1 cars.

24hrs
03-29-2014, 03:37 AM
Group c racing for me! 787b, 956, r89c, saunter c9, xjr9, 88cv.
Close 2nd goes to Porsches and VWs.

jano11
03-30-2014, 09:04 AM
60's and 70's cars are my favorites.
Second in line are the LeMans prototypes and F1 racers.

thijs37
03-30-2014, 05:45 PM
For me its Endurance racing: almost all era's All time favourites are the Porsche 917, Ferrari 330p4 and the Group C era

modlman17
03-31-2014, 07:54 PM
I prefer road racers, mostly LeMans and Super GT/JTCC cars.

Rob

malscar
04-01-2014, 04:37 AM
Old school rally cars. i.e. pre 2001 and more so pre 1990. All because I grew up with them and competed in them.

But to be honest, if we are talking models, then finished ones lol.

Add your comment to this topic!