Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

205K, running rough, throwing codes

spugeddy
02-19-2014, 06:34 PM
My Deathstar has been 8 years of excellent ownership. There are some quirks of course but it owes me nothing.

CEL came on today. Wife said was running rough and surging while driving and while idle. Not too uncommon but more so today than normal.

CODES read. P0340 EGR insufficient level, and Misfire Cylinder 1. The car did stall yesterday in the driveway as my wife cold started the car and threw into reverse as the engine had just turned over. I am hoping that is the cause of cylinder 1 misfire.

Going to read up on EGR....I am thinking a failed/ clogged EGR valve is just environmental and wouldn't cause studdering, hesitating.

FYI...already did the intake seals repair, and have cleaned the ICV a lot. New alt, new battery, did spark plugs at 130K with the 100k plugs.

Thanks for reading.

spugeddy
02-19-2014, 07:27 PM
plugged top hose of EGR valve and it appears to run better, but not great. Besides being unlawful and bad for the environment, will it hurt for my wife to drive the car a total of about 20 miles tomorrow to see if it runs better on the way to school/work...?

spugeddy
02-23-2014, 08:32 AM
Van ran better with no issues with EGR hose plugged. Going to test voltage on DPFE to rule that out, but will probably buy the $60 EGR valve just hoping I don't have to open up the plenum again and clean the EGR ports....its raining all day today and I don't have a garage.

12Ounce
02-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Too much EGR will definitely cause rough running.
It will not hurt anything but the environment to run without ... that is if you are not racing or something, as EGR also controls top end temperatures a bit.... but you are not going to cause a meltdown with moderate driving over a few miles.
The problem is unlikely to be the EGR valve itself ... they are rather stout. I would suspect the differential pressure sensor ... or, next, the solenoid valve...or the sensor hoses.

wiswind
02-23-2014, 05:12 PM
EGR valve is not a common failure.
The DPFE (EGR flow sensor) is high failure
Also, the EGR ports in the lower intake manifold can become clogged....causing less flow to the cylinders closest to the EGR valve.....driver's side and more flow to the cylinders furthest from the EGR valve (passenger side).
The extra EGR flow to the couple cylinders still open, causes them to be starved of oxygen, causing a misfire.

In short, the EGR ports clog right at the end....as they enter the intake.
The ports on the driver's side clog first....and the ports on the passenger side clog last.
Cylinders 1 and 4 are on the passenger side end.
THIS means that it is possible (but not certain) that your EGR ports need to be cleaned.
You need to remove the upper intake manifold to do this.

The fact that it seems to run better with the EGR system disabled does verify that it is a EGR problem....
Cleaning the ports can be a pain.....but if you are handy and can do it yourself, at least it is not an expensive repair.

Add your comment to this topic!