Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Right hand turn, noise

la1
02-19-2014, 02:57 PM
when I make a right hand turn I get a scaping noise with some snaps, seems to happen after the car is warmed up, dont think it is the intermediate shaft since i am holding the wheel steady and the intermediate shaft noise is when you rotate the wheel. I was thinking maybe a strut ? wheel bearing ?

gmtech1
02-19-2014, 03:10 PM
when I make a right hand turn I get a scaping noise with some snaps, seems to happen after the car is warmed up, dont think it is the intermediate shaft since i am holding the wheel steady and the intermediate shaft noise is when you rotate the wheel. I was thinking maybe a strut ? wheel bearing ?

Does this have the aluminum subframe? I think it does. If so, there was a problem with the welds on those causing noises when turning like you described. There is a procedure to apply a special loctite material to the welds. If that did not fix the noise, then the cradle needed to be replaced. I, personally have not seen the loctite repair work and have replaced several cradles for being noisy. Not saying that is what YOUR noise is, but it's fairly common.

la1
02-20-2014, 04:05 PM
would the faulty weld only cause noise turning in one direction. It seems to happen after the car has been driven for awhile and seems to be a scraping sound, like what I would assume the wear indicators on the brake pads would make. I always replace before they get that worn, although the pads have not been replaced for about 70-80k. Was wondering if it could be a defectice strut or wheel bearing.. I was also thinking it migh be the power steering where the vavlves are on the rack and pinion...the input shaft that the intermediate shaft goes on. If I sit stationary , even right after the noise and turn the steering wheel back and forth...no noise, the car seems to have to be noving. well hope the weather is good this weekend.

gmtech1
02-20-2014, 04:20 PM
would the faulty weld only cause noise turning in one direction. It seems to happen after the car has been driven for awhile and seems to be a scraping sound, like what I would assume the wear indicators on the brake pads would make. I always replace before they get that worn, although the pads have not been replaced for about 70-80k. Was wondering if it could be a defectice strut or wheel bearing.. I was also thinking it migh be the power steering where the vavlves are on the rack and pinion...the input shaft that the intermediate shaft goes on. If I sit stationary , even right after the noise and turn the steering wheel back and forth...no noise, the car seems to have to be noving. well hope the weather is good this weekend.

The weld noise is more of a creaking/popping noise. So this may not be the case with yours. Have you checked the brake pads? Usually a bearing noise is more of a grinding type of noise. I doubt it's a strut problem unless it only happens on bumps.

Check the brake pads and see how they look.

la1
02-21-2014, 02:48 PM
Check the brake pads and see how they look.
yeah that was one of my thoughts too. why would the brake pad make noise on a right hand turn. The wheel just turns, the break pads dont care whether the wheel is making a left or right turn..they just watch the rotor go by, :dunno: well the weather here will be good tomorrow, so I will take a look and report back. Are you in Australia land of the Holden? I see also you are a GM TECH, do you still use the TECH2, What do u think of the new GM MDI ?

gmtech1
02-21-2014, 05:12 PM
The brake caliper is on slides, so it moves side to side. This will allow the brake pad to contact the rotor, causing the wear indicator to squeak if it's close enough.

No, not from the land down under. More like Kansas. I use the Tech 2, MDI and GDS2 every day.

la1
02-26-2014, 11:00 AM
oh, in location it said the land of oz, I get it, Kansas where Dorothy lived , well the brake caliper piston pushes out against the pad which contacts the rotor which stops the travel and the caliper moves on its pins pulling the other pad to contact the rotor. what I am saying is , the wheel is rotating with the rotor , there is no function of turning that affects what the brakes do. Unless one of the pads is partially broken or it is sometning else. I had limited time over the weekend I jacked the front end up , the right wheel I could rock back and forth, so I replaced the bearing thinking that was it. well it did not fix the scraping noise, but it did get rid of an oscillation I had at around 58 mph.
Just noticed an oil leak I think the LIM is leaking or either the oil pump drive. Hopefully this weekend will get it all taken care of. Right now I just have a good automotive DVM and the HELM factory manuals for all my GM cars. Seems like the MDI is aimed just at Dealerships that can afford the subscription fees and new limitations.

rkvons
02-27-2014, 12:16 PM
The clearance between your turning rotor and the brake pads is really close when you are driving. The caliper and shoes and such are clamped solid to the steering knuckle and don't budge. The rotor, however, can move depending on how good the wheel bearing is and how much play there is in it. I have a '98 Montana mini van that also makes a scraping noise when I turn left or right and it has the original bearing on it with 170K miles. I actually think the scraping is not the rotor against the pads, but something else, in my case. Changing your wheel bearing was a good idea. Perhaps you need to do the other one? I have two new bearings ready to install in my case, but still have not felt it was that pressing and issue.

la1
03-01-2014, 01:17 PM
well I jacked up the car and took the wheel off, saw it immediately. The splash shield that covers the lower part of the trans came loose. Last year I replaced the ABS lead cable that went to the wheel sensor. The new cable was long so I used as much as possible to graft the cable into the wiring harness. I had to remove the splash shield , was certain I put the fasteners back. Both were missing. I used a zip tie.

Tech II
03-02-2014, 09:04 AM
GMTech1...

Must be out of the loop...

I use the Tech 2, MDI and GDS2 every day.

What is the difference between the MDI and GDS2?

gmtech1
03-02-2014, 05:30 PM
GMTech1...

Must be out of the loop...

I use the Tech 2, MDI and GDS2 every day.

What is the difference between the MDI and GDS2?

The MDI ( Multiple Diagnostic Interface) is a module that plugs into the diagnostic link that allows wireless communication with a laptop or desktop. Used a lot for wireless programming . GDS ( Global Diagnostic System) is a program that replaces the tech 2 on GM "global platform" vehicles. The MDI is needed to use GDS. GDS is way faster then a tech 2, but is only available on some late 2010's and later.

la1
03-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Does anyone know how long GM will support the techII ? The MDI Itself is inexpensive , I cant afford GM's leasing for the software, especially to do diagnostics. Sad that GM has taken this route.

Add your comment to this topic!